600 Yard Sidelock “HOTROD” Renegade (Open sights)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I Decided to drag the Ole the 1-18 Twist Sidelock (The Business Rifle) Out and show it some love this Morning  :Red tup: This is the Barrel That Idahoron Gifted me. This was the Exact same spot as i just Shot my Knight Mountaineer the other day, Right on 600 Yards. This Target was REALLY REALLY Difficult for me to See with my Naked eye, looking through the Peep helped, But even then i could Barely make it out. I wish i had been better prepared this morning with a Solid Color Backstop so i could have Repeated a Sight picture easier, This was EXTREMELY TOUGH!! Remember, an Official 600 Yard Open Sight Target has a Black Aiming Bull of 36 inches, My Gong Aiming bull is only 9 inches here!! I was stil able to get all 3 Hits on Target, They were to the Right of the Bull and in a Vertical String, measuring 14 inches. For the EXTREME POOR visibility Conditions i was Happy with ANY Hit on the Gong. I need to get back out with an OFFICIAL target and Shoot a Group, I was going for Video footage this morning, Shooting a Paper Target doesn’t make for fun Video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s5ccMrXa3LI" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

For Comparison, Here is a Quick Vid Clip of me Zoomed in on an OFFICIAL 600 Yard Open Sight Target (MR-1C) The Black Aiming Bull is 36 inches, This is what the Competition Shooters are Shooting at When competing at 600 Yards. The Black Aiming Bull on my 20” Square Gong is only 9 inches, GIANT Difference!! I wish i had Zoomed out here so you could See it all the way out, This was me getting Dialed in for my Gong

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qqQPsmHy8FI" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I forgot to mention my Gong, It is a 20” Square piece of 1/2” Thick AR500 Steel, This thing weighs 60 Something pounds! I really wish i had went with the 3/8” Stuff, I would have gotten more Swing, and a Better “Ring” out of it.

Nice job Lewis. Reminds me of the Long Range days with my Sharps 45-100. Not a sidelock and the targets were a little bigger but still difficult at even longer ranges. I did a lot of business with Dave Gullo back then. Buffalo Arms had all the supplies.

Thank you guy’s, This stuff is a LOT of fun to do! But MAN O MAN is there a LOT of Gear, Setup, and Time that goes in to Setting this stuff up to do this. Especially for me since i do this in the Mountains, I don’t have the LUXURY of a BIG wide open Field type Setting. This Country is BRUSHY, it is Extremely difficult to find Places to shoot much over 400 Yards Around here, Places that i can Drive to and Hang a Target anyway. In other words, I REALLY have to think outside of the Box to Do this stuff! I guess it makes it that much more fun, challenging.

BigAl52,  Buffalo Arms is like a Second home to me, i live 30 minutes from them, I spend WAY more time their than I probably Should :D 
 I bet the Sharps 45-100 was a LOT of fun to Work with  :Red tup: That is the Same Cartridge Dave Gullo of Buffalo Arms is seen on YouTube Shooting the 1,100 Plus Yard White Buffalo Target At the NRA Whittington Center in Raton New Mexico. I see Dave Gullo on a Fairly regular basis in his Business, I asked him about that Particular Shot? Dave told me that he was Using a 45-100 SHARPS BORCHARDT Rifle. He tried to talk me in to Buying one, He had 2 of them for sale at the Time, Both in the 5 Grand Range :shock: I politely Declined 

img_0410.jpg

img_0411.jpg

Here is mine Lewis. Long Range Express. MVA Rear sight I believe its the Buffalo Soule and it has the MVA windage adjustable front sight. Not sure what they cost today but as you can see extra fancy wood and pewter tip.  I wanted to sell it at one time but the wife said hell no you aint selling it.

Dave use to have a guy there named Skip he was a really nice guy. Not sure he is still there but I did alot of business with Skip.

That is a BEAUTIFUL Rifle BigAl52, HOLY MOLY!!! That is a HIGH END Gun for sure, Thank you for Showing it!! And that MVA Soule Tang sight is TOP Of the line, HIGH DOLLAR as well, i looked at them Back when i Purchased mine, The Long Range Buffalo Soule is right at 500 Bucks, The Windage adjust Front sights are a Couple Hundred dollars as well. You can EASILY put 700 Bucks in a Good Long Range Sight setup! Actually, that’s what you need to Figure
    I have 2 of the Windage Adjustable Front Sights, Both of mine Are Lee Shaver’s, My Long Range Soule Tang Sight is a Shaver’s as well, he has an economy Grade, and a Super Grade, i went Super Grade. Lee makes a REALLY Good Solid Sight System, But his Stuff does Lack the Fine Detail of the MVA (Montana Vintage Arms) The Hoke, Baldwin, and Kelley Soule. They all function the Same, the difference is in the ultra fine Detail, The lines, Numbers etc.

While the other sights might be a little finer in detail, I don’t regret my purchase in the least. I became over the phone friends with Lee, I have picked him for info several times, and he has always been willing to stop what he was doing and help me, From My Loading Procedure, to the way i Cast my Bullets, Lee Shaver’s is who REALLY Helped me!! The Guy is a 2 Time WORLD Champion, along with a TON of other Wins, He is a WEALTH Of Knowledge. So in Reality, I couldn’t have purchased a Better Long Range Sight System.

I don’t remember meeting a Skip at Buffalo Arms? He might work in the Machine Shop area? I know most all of them, I Knock on that Door a LOT :D Buffalo Arms is a Funny place, Some Folks think of it as a BIG Blackpowder Shopping Center :), And it TRULY is! BUT, it’s an Internet Ran Business, They don’t even have a Name on Their Building. They will gladly sell to the public, But they are not Setup to walk around and Shop, you need to know what you need and hand them a list, they are wearing Headsets and Answering Phones. Their Doors are locked, You have to Knock on the Door and Someone will let you in :Red tup:

Speaking of Buffalo Arms, You wouldn’t believe how many Local People around here ask me “Where do you get your Real Blackpowder at?” I say Buffalo Arms over in Ponderay and they Scratch Their Head?? Even a Sergeant of the Sheriff Dept. here for 30 years, The Sheriff’s Dept is right in little Ponderay, right by Buffalo Arms, He had NO IDEA It Existed??  :lol!:

I got lucky when getting the front sight as a friend I was shooting with bought it and didnt like it. So I took it off his hands trading him out of it. I get the Lee Shaver sights and help. You were lucky to get that help. I was self taught on the casting. Many frustrating hours figuring it out on my own. Most of the guys I shot with were in there own circles and you couldnt break into those circles. Guys that were good shooters didnt usually share much with us newbies. I placed first one time in a Buffalo Shoot and that was it. Never considered myself that good. I liked the BPCR shoots but it takes alot of time to get as good as Lee and the others.

Latest posts

Back