Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got up to the range this morning to test fire my Frankenflinter.
Setup a target at 25 yards, walked back to the bench and loaded up 60 grains [V] of Swiss 3f under a 490 ball with a .010 cotton spit patch.
I primed the pan with about 5 grains of 3f and took aim.
I squeezed the trigger, bang! The gun fired instantly. My shot struck the target about 2 inches low of the bull.
This is pretty cool, I thought to myself.
I reloaded, took aim and bang again. Shot # 2 hit a bit to the right of the first.
Shot # 3 was low again with a bit of a delayed ignition.
At shot # 4, no spark. The flint loosened up and shifted a bit. It also looked a bit dull now so I changed flints. Got that done and shot 4 went off with some delay.
Shots 4 and 5 struck very low with delayed ignition.
I should have called it a day because the wind was blowing pretty good but I wanted one more quick shot. I swabbed the barrel only once, ( mistake on my part) and reloaded. Shot # 6, flash only, no kaboom.
I took my nipple pick and poked the vent a few times, reprimed. The gun wouldn't fire. I tried several times, no kaboom, so I packed up.
When I got home, I pulled the barrel and unscrewed the vent and trickled some powder in the opening, reinstalled the vent and put the barrel back on. I primed the pan, took aim at a stump in the back yard. Kaboom, the gun went off.
I know that I pushed some fouling down the barrel and caused my own problems.
A lot of fun and a lot to learn yet.

Great report, I bet you were grinning like a kid. That's one of the really special things about traditional muzzleloaders, they take you back in time in several ways. To the time of our forefathers and to a time earlier in our own lives. Not too many things can do that. Ya gotta love it...

Absolutely, agree 100%. Especially since I've retired. I really only want to shoot and hunt with traditional guns. I've had percussion cap guns for decades, I just seem to appreciate them more now.

Deerman, whenever I swab I point the barrel down. I start the spit patch in the normal position then throw it over my shoulder to keep the chunks from going down the barrel. Just a thought.

Deerman, whenever I swab I point the barrel down. I start the spit patch in the normal position then throw it over my shoulder to keep the chunks from going down the barrel. Just a thought.
That's probably better. I've always just laid the rifle on the table to swab. The breech area on the flintlock barrel is possibly different from percussion? Never had a problem with my caplocks.

I have never shot a flinter. So my contribution here is minimal. But the problem seems to increase with the number of shots fired. Maybe a pipe cleaner through the ignition hole after every few shots or even after every shot. I have to think someone with a flint lock should chime in.

Same here as snapbang, never shot a flintlock. I always thought from reading an videos I've seen that you use the nipple pick each time you load to clear the channel to the powder. Doubt I will ever own one, but they are cool to watch shooting. There was a reason the old timers went from flint to caplock for more reliable discharge.

I’ve had 3 or 4 flinters, never could hold through that flash without flinching. Anyhow, make sure to wipe the fouling off the flint and frizzen after each shot. Only put a minimum of prime in the pan, do not cover the touch hole with charge powder. Ensure flint is sharp. Load main charge with a vent pick in the touch hole. Swabbing is only required if loading get difficult. If swabbing, make sure a wiping dry patch is final patch. Ensure flash channel to main charge is clear after swabbing.
Off the top of my head that’s all I can come up with.
Walk

deermanok, what powder did you use in the pan? How was the holding through the ignition till the shot took off? Great report and one heck-of-a build!

deermanok, what powder did you use in the pan? How was the holding through the ignition till the shot took off? Great report and one heck-of-a build!
I used 3f Swiss for the pan. I was very surprised that ignition was just as fast as my percussion guns for the first couple shots.
From what I've been reading and others advice, you to wipe the frizzen and flint to get rid of the soot from burnt power and pick the touch hole. Keep everything clean and the gun will fire just fine.
This is my first flintlock, so I have a lot to learn.

Back