7.62x39 or 7.62x54r

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey0127781

Reaction score
I am looking for an bolt action 7.62x39 rifle or single shot.

then I got thinking, 7.62x54r, little more umph with the same size bullet.

I am planning on casting for .311 dia. I have an mold already.
brass is the main problem.
what should I do. :roll: :suspect:

found an rifle for 99.99 at an gunshop in 7.62x54r. I have half the money now. :lol!:

saw lots of brass for the 7.62x54 at the NRA a few days ago.

I have both.

The 7.62 x 39 (basic AK round) is like a light duty 30-30. Rossi makes a nice single shot for it. I have one set up with a simmons scope...I call it my wife gun. I shoot win 123 gr sp factory ammo through it and it does fine. The Rossie single shot rifles use the same tapping configuration as a TC Encore. I put a TC mono mount (2 rings cast on a solid single base) on mine and it makes quite the nice light 100 yard max deer rifle. Practice ammo is easy to get.

The 7.62 x 54R (basic Mosin round) is more like a 308 or 30-06. You can do more with it. You are pretty much limited to old Ruski rifles. The action on those old Mosin rifles is quite a bit stiffer than modern bolt actions. Note...these Mosins are not very easy to mount quality scopes. Also, if you know where to look, plenty of old milsurp practice ammo.

I seen the mounts kits for mosin rifles. it may not matter. I think of selling my sks to fund my next gun buy (cva accura in 45cal) :lol!:

I have a friend that loved his 7.62x54...and i did not care for my sks past 75 yards.
, so did you get one?

Hello from Germany!

Being a bit nearer to these Mosin-Nagants I recommend the carbine. It is only about 1 meter long and very handy. You can mount a weaver base in the rear sight and mount a aim point or pistol scope. I use the rifle with a aim point/red dot for drive hunting here in Germany. The 7,62x54 R is a very good caliber.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I had a Mosin Nagant and gave it to what I thought was a friend at the time he turned out to be a bung hole, I wish I kept it. Now I have had a CZ527 in 7.62by39 for some time its very light and has the nice single set trigger and points well.

Buy a 7 MM-08 CVA scout rifle and don't look back 8) there not much more new than that surplus junk!!!you can buy them for $275.00 free delivery and Lee makes a $20.00 130 gr mold.the 7 MM -08 is one sweet shooting round and not a lot of recoil..

Back