70's Model H&R Huntsman .58 Caliber Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlin_444

Reaction score
Hey All:

Ok, I hear ya'll are the X-Sperts on these type of Front End Loaders...

Mine is a "O" ring style, seems it's been tinkered with to raise it so the Breach Plug can be popped out without breaking down the Barrel/Stock.

Question #1

Can I have this gun machined to have a screw-in Breach added (if so who can do this), if yes go to #2

Question #2

Can I convert this gun from a #11 Primer to a 209?

Question #3

What is the Best Load (Bullet/Powder) for this type of gun?

a. Round Ball
b. Ball-et
c. Others???

Question #4

If you were unable to make the changes #1 #2, would you be comfortable shooting this gun (Not opening it in the event of a Mis-Fire)?

Brad Endres at Ace Gunshop in Freeport, MI does the conversions or at least did at one time. You would have to call and find out if he still does: 616-765-5300. Open Tuesday thru Saturday last I knew.

Critter said:
Brad Endres at Ace Gunshop in Freeport, MI does the conversions or at least did at one time. You would have to call and find out if he still does: 616-765-5300. Open Tuesday thru Saturday last I knew.

Mochas Garcia - Critter...

Appreciate the help!

Be very, very careful with that rifle as it is now! I believe H&R abandoned the o-ring breechplug after it resulted in a couple of deaths.

Underclocked said:
Be very, very careful with that rifle as it is now! I believe H&R abandoned the o-ring breechplug after it resulted in a couple of deaths.

Thanks for the concern underclocked...

No plans to fire it til I have the new Machined Breach Plug installed (screw in) for a 209!

I know my limitations!

Back