75 yd milk jug shot decelerator

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarcher

NRA and NAA Life member
Supporting member
Reaction score
I shot my 50 cal flintlock with the 600 grain bullets again.. first shot felt quite the kick! turns out, i didn't have the slip on decelerator on the renegade.. with the steel butt plate one know he has shot a rifle!!! put the pad on & it is very pleasant.. These things work!! Also, one can really hear the bullet wallop the milk jugs!! The smoke keeps me from seeing the explosion though. This rifle just plain shoots great!
jug600.JPGjug6001.JPG

Exarcher, how much of what powder do you use with this 600 grain bullet?

just deer.. bought em just to try,, turns out they shoot so good, i'm going to use em.. deer won't mind...
You are probably going to enlarge the touch hole really quickly shooting those 600 gr. bullets. X

You are probably going to enlarge the touch hole really quickly shooting those 600 gr. bullets. X
i don't think i shoot enough for this to ever become an issue... i've shot this rifle around 50 times since i installed the white lightning liner. & as of now, it's not showing any increase in size. (I've shot a dozen of the 600 grain bullets so far)..

i don't think i shoot enough for this to ever become an issue... i've shot this rifle around 50 times since i installed the white lightning liner. & as of now, it's not showing any increase in size. (I've shot a dozen of the 600 grain bullets so far)..
I can burn out a standard stainless nipple on my Gibbs in about 30 shots. [530 gr. bullet- 90 gr. Swiss 1 1/2] That's why it is recommended to use a platinum lined nipple. Keep an eye on the touch hole diameter in your rifle. X

I can burn out a standard stainless nipple on my Gibbs in about 30 shots. [530 gr. bullet- 90 gr. Swiss 1 1/2] That's why it is recommended to use a platinum lined nipple. Keep an eye on the touch hole diameter in your rifle. X
the hole to start is .0610. right now a .0615 will not pass through.. since they are 3 times as large as a nipple flash hole they might wear a bit slower? but i don't know,, i've read these white lightning last 800-1000 shots.. (but i'm sure that is with a much lighter weight round ball) You should try a treso/ampco nipple with your gibbs,, i've read they last much longer than stainless. i've got at least 100 shots on my 45 cal all shots over 500 grain bullets, with charges from 70-120 grains weighed.. (it shoots most accurate on the low end though). I bought them a long time ago, but Idaho Lewis' experience with them is much more extensive than mine,, & he has posted lots on nipple life, & swears by treso/ampco.. (baco has em in stock) .. i have a platinum nipple but have not used it but a few shots & switched back to treso. The 50cal would have lower pressure to start also,, slower twist, bigger bore (than our 45 cal. barrels)

Last edited:
Back