7x57 muaser

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Reaction score
wondering if any one else hunts shoots or reloads for a 7x57. I got a fn muaser and she's a sweety my hand load is 46 grains of imr 4831 and a horndy gmx 139 grain bullet at 2550 at the muzzle shot moa at 100 yards. got one black tale deer with it at 70 yards.

The 7X57 was one of the first semi-rimmed cases to break 100 years of age and still in use world wide. The 7X57 seems to cycle around among american shooters every 10 years as the old cartridge to try.

I have had 3 Rugers and 2 M-98 in the 7X57 and each rifle was a joy to shoot. I aslo used the 139 gr. Hornady but switched to the 154 grain hornady and the Mauser M-98's preferred the now discontinued Hornady 154 gr roundnose.

That bullet out penetrated in testing in relation to it's speed and bullet weight.

Chocdog

I have 2. One is a shaw barrel on a howa action, shoots very well with 150's pushed by 4350. The other is a styer mauser action (arsonal refurbished in 61 to 308). It didn't shoot worth a hoot as a 2 groove 308 but on the right day it does very well again with the 150's. Other days it's so so but heck it's only a 80 buck adams bennet barrel. But it's minute of deer out past 200. No I don't hunt with them, just to many other choices in front of them

Here is a pic of my Mauser in 7x75 Mauser.

JC

097.jpg

Thanks Jim,

The stock and metal work were all done by the hunting partner of the gentleman that I purchased it from.

JC

JC,

A 7X57 on a Mauser action as it should and a M-70 wing safety....priceless.

Chocdog

choc-dog said:
JC,

A 7X57 on a Mauser action as it should and a M-70 wing safety....priceless.

Chocdog

Thanks guys!

Here are a few close ups...

JC

056.jpg

017.jpg

021.jpg

025.jpg

032.jpg

037.jpg

050.jpg

jcchartboy said:
Here is a pic of my Mauser in 7x75 Mauser.

JC

097.jpg
sweet looking gun. me I put mine in a weatherby mark 5 style stock and put a 3x9x40 redfield with accue range scope on it. can't wait to get another deer or bear with it.

Nice looking rifle. One factor in a hunting iron that doesn't always get it's due is the uniqueness of the tool at hand. Yes, we could get a lot done with a single shot Stevens rifle. I just like carrying a nice firearm even when it's more than one actually NEEDS to get the job done. Why not do it in style when you're able?

jc, I think I have a a 5x57 Argentina in my basement some olace that the wife bought at a gun show, see wants me to restore it for her. I do hnow that all # do match. Its been in the basement for at least 8 years. Buy the way that is a very nice pictures you have posted. :yeah:

That is even better. The metal work and checkering are also first class.

sqezer said:
jc, I think I have a a 5x57 Argentina in my basement some olace that the wife bought at a gun show, see wants me to restore it for her. I do hnow that all # do match. Its been in the basement for at least 8 years. Buy the way that is a very nice pictures you have posted. :yeah:

Likely a 7.65 Argentine caliber.

Chocdog

7x57mm

I had a Ruger M77 in 7x57. The last load I used was 49 gr. IMR 4350 with a Barnes TSX. Also 52gr W760 with a 120gr Sierra PSP and 43gr. IMR 4064 with 139 gr Hornaday Spire Point & assorted 140 gr bullets.
I hunted for many years with IMR4350 with a 140gr Barnes regular X-Bullet.
The 49 gr IMR4350 with the TSX was the best but soon I stopped using the gun.
Even though I am not a short guy I found that a 13" LOP fitted me much better. I bought a Winchester M70 Compact in 7mm-08. It is now my favorite rifle. Also a pre-64 Win M70 in .308 also with a 13" LOP. I sold the Ruger and 2 other rifles.
I would consider another 7x57 if I found one like JC's Mauser. NICE!

My friend had a Russian made bolt rifle that I believe was that caliber. It was a good shooter. But the shells were expensive and he wanted a 30-06, so he sold it for next to nothing to a gun shop. I would have gave him what he got for it, but he never told me he was interested in parting with it.

I have a 7.7x58mm Japanese Ariska Model 99 that my father brought home from Okinawa while in the Navy. It is a great shooting rifle. But the barrel I believe (but will not swear to) is chrome lined even, But it is missing the chrysanthemum and Dad chopped the barrel some, and being a carpenter, made modifications on the stock to make it a shorter rifle to carry. Then he mounted a Lyman peep sight on the thing.

Man, that's a beautiful rifle. Gorgeous. I recently (ok, several months ago) bought a 1893 Spanish Mauser made in 1901 from a work colleague. Unfortunately, it's been MEGA bubba'd. The stock is ugly and sporterized. The barrel is turned down to 18" and is hourglass shaped. I know it's not bulged, as I've slugged the bore and there are no "loose" spots. Just whoever turned the barrel down on the lathe must have been really drunk that day.

I still haven't fired it. I've always wanted a 7x57. I think it's one of the greatest all time do-it-all calibers. Something special about it. Since it's in such rough shape, I've also though about getting it rebarreled to .257 Roberts, another all-time great caliber that I've always wanted. I think it would be cost-prohibitive though, so I may just keep it as-is and wicked-ugly for now and just fire the thing. Who knows, it may be a tack driver?

Emrah

What a shame to shoot that grand old cartrage out of such and ugly rifle.......

No I'm kidding...that is a beautiful slab of wood...stunning rifle!

Back