A .58 by Bob Hoyt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had Bob make me a .58 cal flintlock barrel for my Renegade a few months ago and after getting it sighted in earlier this year I finally got the time to try a couple loads in it to see how it shoots. I shot at 50 yards using 80, 90, and 100 gr charges of Goex FFg with a .570" home cast ball and .020" Oxyoke patches and swabbing between each shot with a good cleaning between groups. As you can see from the attached targets, I settled on the 100 gr charge. A friend told me I should try FFFg which I will. But I don't think I can do much better.
80_gr_10.jpg

90_gr_10.jpg

100_gr10.jpg

:Red tup: got the pics for ya!

Hell of a shooter. Bob does some excellent work.

Bobby re-bored the barrel on my John Browning Mountain Rifle to .58.  It likes 120 grains of 2f with a .575 home cast ball with .015 mink oil lubed patch.  I get 3/4" groups at 50 yards from the bench, and about 2.5" at 199 yards.

Mr. Grimord your ready for the next postal match <a href='/tags/5' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #5'>#5</a> with the way your new barrel is performing. See you for the November shoot.  :Red tup:

I realized after I entered my last post that I mis-typed the distance for my 2.5" groups.  It should read 100 Yards.  Heck, I can't even see the target at 200 yards.

Latest posts

Back