A couple pistols Im looking into

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Well, my rifle category is pretty much filled. Now I have an empty spot that needs filling.

I got that St.louis hawken kit rifle finished up and shooting wonderfully and so I thought out a trappers pistol. Trapper actually meaning when Floyd and I go out checking hog traps, I'll have a finisher if very short distance is allowed ( some times those huge hogs can get you skittish).

In this area I am looking into the traditions kentucky. Its a low profile/slim design and not much fancy stuff hanging off it, 50cal, same as my rifle, good open sights. I think I am going to get one of these in kit form so I can do an exact match in color/finish.

Next I want a factory made pistol to match my hawken woodsman flintlock. I narrowed it down to the fancier traditions trapper since it will be a range queen due to the size and the extra wood/brass trigger guard hanging off it. Probably not the most comfortable pistol to carry around due to those issues I've pointed out. Great adjustable sights too. I think it would be better suited to target shooting than the kentucky is.

What do you think? Kentucky for a nice manageable pistol for trappings and the Trapper for range plinking?

Built these two last spring - one to match the Flint MT Rifle and the other to match My son's rifle...... Sorta the same thing you were thinking........Just not the trapper - actually original parts CVA .50 cal flint Mountain pistol and Traditions .50 cal Kentucky pistol.
img_3210.jpg

Nothing fancy just business.

I love the CVA Mountain pistol built mine back in the 70s to match my rifle. Used it a lot when I lived in Missouri during muzzle loader season and on draw hunts .It has 2 deers to its credit both taken at around 30 yards .

hawkthrower said:
Built these two last spring - one to match the Flint MT Rifle and the other to match My son's rifle...... Sorta the same thing you were thinking........Just not the trapper - actually original parts CVA .50 cal flint Mountain pistol and Traditions .50 cal Kentucky pistol.
img_3210.jpg

Nothing fancy just business.
That's the perfect picture that has helped with a lot of questions on my mind! I think my set up will do great for what I am wanting it for.

I have one of those cva mountain pistols as well. Love the belt hook.

Pistols are next on my bucket list....and then I'm about done. A pair of 1805 Harper's Ferry pistols. I like trappers pistols and until a few months ago I had a set of parts to build one that I had carried with me from the late 70's, but never got around to build it. I like them especially with belt hooks. However for my persona they are a bit too late. Like to see yours when you get it.

I like the Trapper pistol I have, but the reach to the trigger is a little much for my small hand. So, it just looks nice hanging on the wall. The Kentucky style pistols are a much better fit for me.
Ron

Have two Mountain pistols and several "Kentucky" pistols and more than several others..... I've had TC's and others of various makers.... but I seem to come back to the ones I've put together from parts over the years or the original kits I built in the 70's. Donno exactly why, but whatever works eh?
The oldest friends sometimes are the best of friends!
Gander you might like one of the vintage CVA "Hawken" Pistols if you can find one - slightly more slender and shaped a bit more like the Kentucky but with a brass butt cap, single trigger, and a brass front cap that matches the CVA Hawken rifle .....

26757-10.jpg

I have a single shot black powder pistol in .54 caliber.

Been years since I shot it.

Also have a single shot Pedersoli that might be .40 or .45.

I'll have to dig it and and see.

Haven't fired that in years either but I'll soon remedy that.

Back