A little test: BH 209 left in breech for 4 weeks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caniborrowsomeammo

Reaction score
So I was shooting my Optima Pistol a month ago and left a charge of 209 in it just in case I saw a pig on the way back from the cabin.
I never swabbed between shots, so it should have been as dirty with powder residue as possible, and decided I would leave it dirty until I got a chance to shoot again. Foolish, maybe? But I had to see if it was true or just a rumor that some left their gun charged all season when using BH.
After shooting this weekend, a month later, I finally opened her up and cleaned the barrel. When I was finished the barrel was spotless, with no sign of pitting or corrosion.
I put it all back together with some never seize on the B Plug , popped a MZ cap, and charged her back up, all ready to go.
So, if you are ever thinking...........................

Leaving an unfired gun loaded with Blackhorn for weeks, seems to be 100% safe. Leaving a fired gun loaded with Blackhorn has proven to be damaging to the gun, and is something many shooters will never do.

Back