A long and tough journey

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firestick

Reaction score
Well it has been a long tough journey since 1997 when I got sepsis from a simple cut on my finger during construction of an apartment complex. Lost a great deal of strength and stamina. Spent 5 days in ICU. They didn't think I was going to make it but some how at virtually the last hour the antibiotics kicked in full steam and I pulled through. A few years later and I contracted West Nile Viral Meningitis. I spent 3 days in ICU with that. It really kicked my health back even further. Then in the last ten years I have had 4 cardiac stents due to 90% blockage plus a triple cardiac ablation for sever afib. Two summers ago I had my gall bladder removed. Two weeks later and a week after my best friend and hunting partner passed away from renal failure I had and EDG done to find out why I was still in pain. They took 9 biopsies. Turned out to be stage 4 esophageal cancer. No chance for surgery as the surgeon said I would not survive it. At BEST it would be an 8 hr surgery IF everything went perfect. So I was set up for maximum radiation and maximum chemo therapy. Finally some good news after waiting 3 months it was determined the tumor and where it had spread was shrunk to undetectable levels. Now 6 months after treatment I am just starting to feel somewhat human again. For the 1st time in 3 years I can fish again. But the kicker is my long time friend and world famous bowyer Dan Toelke of Montana Bows is making me a 40# longbow so I can shoot again!!!! I can't get my Toelke Whip back to full draw anymore due to the illnesses. 53# is just too much for me. I can't wait to be back flinging arrows again!!!. Dans bows are some of the most beautiful crafted bows you would ever lay your eyes on. Who knows maybe I can even get back to form and slay a deer this fall! Waaaahhhoooo!

Wow, sounds like you’ve had a rough time!  Hope your new bow turns out good!  I’ve always been intrigued by traditional bows but never fully made the plunge. I don’t hunt with a bow often but when I do I use a compound. To be honest it’s hard enough getting into compound bow range hunting spot & stalk, let alone traditional bow range!  Tree stand or blind hunting would be a different story I guess but I don’t use those tactics very often.  Looking forward to pics of your new bow when it’s done!

So many problems and you still have a positive attitude. Good for you.

Enjoy your new bow.

OldMtnMan said:
So many problems and you still have a positive attitude. Good for you.

Enjoy your new bow.
I also have spinal stenosis, arthritis and degenerative disc diseaes in my back and that is why I was forced into retiring on SSDI. Very hard to bend over without a cane or walking stick. Kind of hard being a carpenter in such condition:) I beat the grim reaper 3 times. No other way to see it than look forward and enjoy what is before me. :D

My experience with longbow is with a 38# DW.  It was enough to take deer sized critters up to 25-yards. You will be happy with 40# and can do anything with that. You are a tough and blessed person to be able to get through your trials.

You're an inspiration Firestick.
In my younger years I set my compound to a macho 73 pounds at 28".  That kind of poundage is now out of the question :roll:  with my 63 year-old shoulder sockets.   It's now set as low as it can go at 55#... and even that's a bit of a struggle.  Last year I hunted with my 50# traditional stick bows.  There may come a time when a crossbow may be my only bow option...but I ain't there yet.  I guess we all must do whatever we need to do to keep the spirit of hunting alive.
40 pound pull is all you need.  ;)
Send us a pic or two of that new bow when you get it Firestick. :)

I made it to the crossbow option last year . Gave my compound to my son-in-law. Way to hard to draw anymore guess Im just getting old.

mark1945 said:
I made it to the crossbow option last year . Gave my compound to my son-in-law. Way to hard to draw anymore guess Im just getting old.
What crossbow did you decide on :?:

I tried a crossbow one year. It was a pain to carry. Bulky and weighed 10lbs.

I got a shot at 65 yds at an elk but I had only practiced to 50yds and I wasn't sure how much drop it would have at 65yds, so I passed on the shot. It would have been an easy shot with a muzzleloader.

20150510.jpg

Firestick..Here's me in 1950 with a Longbow. I kind of wish I had stayed with it instead of using guns.

OldMtnMan said:
20150510.jpg

Firestick..Here's me in 1950 with a Longbow. I kind of wish I had stayed with it instead of using guns.
That is a pretty cool pic! I had a Bear fiberglass one at that age that looked about like that. It taught me why one should wear an arm guard! :shock:

Marty I got a Carbon Express Covert CX1 . I got it used with bolts broadheads  and a target for a super good price . So far Im impressed with it but it is heavy.

The older you get, strange things happen.  A few years back I went to a crossbow and never looked back.
  As OldMntMan said, his was bulky and weighted 10lbs.  I have to agree some what.   To me, mine feels heavy and awkward.  A lot more on a crossbow as well.  

But...……... That puppy will get the job done!

Yelp. Had Tick put me down 5 years ago then Gall Bladder. Then my Back got bad enough I couldn’t get out of Bed. Last year Arthritis put me down. This year Dislocated my Shoulder so I can’t us Crossbow or Rifle. All along been dealing with Barrettes Esophaguses.

Just remember we’re not alone and seems like life is just being a B.

oneshot

Dry Powder said:
The older you get, strange things happen.  A few years back I went to a crossbow and never looked back.
  As OldMntMan said, his was bulky and weighted 10lbs.  I have to agree some what.   To me, mine feels heavy and awkward.  A lot more on a crossbow as well.  

But...……... That puppy will get the job done!
You use whatever means are available.  If it's a crossbow than so be it.
You're absolutely right. Getting the job done is what it's all about ;)

Well my bow came today. I'll try and get some pics and post them. It is a Toelke Pika. limb cores are heat treated bamboo. Limb veneers are heat treated tiger stripe maple under clear glass. The heat treating gives it a warm caramel color. The riser is gorgeous stabilized leopard wood. It shoots like a dream as does all Dan and Jared's bows. I can't believe such a short bow spits an arrow like it does. dead silent and absolutely dead in the hand. I am stoked!

It sounds great. It's pretty hard to find a longbow with no hand shock. Hang on to it.

Pics finally done. Been too busy making arrows for it:). Toelke Pika. 56" and 40#@28" Heat treated figured maple limb veneers under clear glass(no stain. color is from heat treating). Heat treated bamboo cores. Stabilized lace wood riser.

Back