A Mountain Man Club Formed In 1973.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
my_camp_to_yours.jpg

SUBJECT: A Mountain Man Club Formed In 1973.

In the 60's most of the buckskinners in Colorado had been doing their own thing for a few years, traveling in small groups, unorganized, undocumented wares, helter skelter per say.

A small group of us in the Denver area started a State Organization in 1968 - Colorado State Muzzleloading Rifle Association. We are looking for members is how the club idea below got its start, your having to belong to the CSMLA if you wanted to me a member of our mountain man club.

I moved to the family farm and started cleaning up the place in 1972, moving there 1973 (homesteaded in the 1860's - 300 acres with only 80 acres cultivated, unattended for 20 years) lots of mountain ground and a neighbor with 10,000 acres we were allowed to use, also homesteaded. Next to us on the other side was the Roosevelt National Forest. 

Within a month I had met several folks with like interests, a club was formed and named after the Canyon we were in "The Buckhorn Skinners" was alive.

To make a long story short and give you some viewing time here's a link to this group that's still going today - 45 years later.

http://sittingfoxagency.tripod.com/Life%20on%20the%20Buckhorn/Buckhorn%20Skinners/page1.htm

"Click" on the pages to the right, then return to the pistols at the bottom to look around. Enjoy.

This was an awesome read! A ton of great pictures and info Buck!

Thank you Jon. 

I went a different direction and the wife and I split. In the divorce she agreed to let the club still use the property once a month with a few using the range for practice during the week. If she needs help whether fixing fences, burning ditches or just moving the horses. The club members are there in a heartbeat. I'm pleased she has kept our agreement for over 30 years. God Bless her.

Latest posts

Back