A NEW RIFLE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK1

Reaction score
I can't seem to stay away from the gun shops :lol!: I picked up a new Ruger American .243. I love the way this rifle feels. Lightweight & shoulders nice. Dual pillar bedded & full floating barrel. Barrels are rifled on the same machine as the Hawkeye. I love the fact that this gun is 100% American made & really wanted to put my Revolution on it to keep it that way, but for me my 4-12x42 Revenge fits me better on this gun. I mounted the scope on Burris Z-steel rings. I am expecting this gun to be very accurate.

2013-04-20123949_zps3446f198.jpg

I forgot to mention that it has a 70 degree bolt throw & I really like that. I may try a set of low rings now that I see how much clearance I have with the mediums. I really thought the scope would be closer to the barrel with the mediums.

:cheers:

Congrats on the new rifle. Hope she shoots as good as she looks. Won't be long before you make it tack driver. :!: :!:
Have fun.

Ray.......... ;)

I'm looking into buying a new XS7 Marlin .308 in the coming week ...anyone have any experience with these ?

Spitfire , I bought one last year in black and blue and I love it .... she's not a tack driver but plenty good enough for a hunting rifle to 300 yds or so. Trigger is adjustable but mine came really nice from the factory.

Wally

300 yds is way more than i need as we tend to take 50-150 yd shots due to the bush here , Thanks wallygater !
Congrats on your new toy Greg , may you have much fun with it !

Thanks Ray & Spitfire. I am hoping to get out to the range this week. I plan on shooting Barnes Vortex 80 grain bullets for my hunting load, but will probably shoot a lot of core lokt &/or Win Power Points at the range since they cost about half of what the Barnes do! Not sure, but I may sell my Apex 243 barrel. Don't think I need two, but then again......

I was out & about today & that got me "thinking". Maybe I should stop by the gun shop. While I was there I got to "thinking"......maybe another Bushnell Legend Ultra HD for my Ruger, not that there is anything wrong with the Revenge that I JUST put on it! Soooooooo, I got to "thinking".......I can take the Aetec off of my Knight Shadow & put the Revenge on it instead. So, I bought another Legend 4.5-14x44. As you can tell, it's not that I go to the gun shop more than I should......it's that I "think" too much, :lol!:

Here it is with the Ultra HD on it.

2013-04-22163946_zpsf884da03.jpg

2013-04-22163914_zps43a27bfc.jpg

great set up! The 243 is a great little caliber for deer size game and such. With a barnes, possibly even elk!

Yeah, a Barnes or Partition will kill elk with good shot placement. Better suited for deer though.

You can also flip coyotes in the air. :D

I am really impressed with these scopes so far, but will put them through their paces soon. I love the .243. We have lots of yotes to shoot around here. (even in my back yard!) & I'm only a half mile out of town. I will be using Barnes Vortex bullets for hunting deer & probably everything else. That combination is one wicked load. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a black bear with that load, but I think I'd switch to my 7-08 for Elk just in case a little longer shot where a heavier bullet will deliver more energy is needed.

I should add that Bushnell's warranty on this scope is so good that if you use it & at anytime decide you don't like it, they will refund your money.....period! That is hard to beat!

A friend of mine bought his adult daughter a Ruger American in .270. It shoots "minute of deer" but not real accurate with 130 gr. factory ammo. If she reloaded, I'm sure the groups would shrink. I dry-fired it and the trigger could use some work on hers. She killed a 9-point with it this season in her back pasture so it's good enough for the job at hand.

It's not the thinking that gets us in trouble but the impulsive buying afterwards !

Latest posts

Back