A New Walker-Colt behemoth showed up at my door

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
OK, I admit that a sale with free shipping at Midway enticed me to buy this 1847 revolver. It is BIG! Humongous! At near 4 1/2 pounds, it is quite a handful.
Here is the Walker-Colt with an 1851 Navy:

colt_110.jpg

I look forward to shooting it.

Wow... that is a big boy!  You look like you can handle it though :lol:

I've read that the Walker, with 60 gr of black powder and a .451 ball, delivered the most power of any handgun issued to the government until the introduction of the .357 mag.

It probably wouldn't pass muster as a concealed carry weapon. :D 

Ron

Ron with your size and depending on where you shoved it, it may be considered concealed ....   :lol!:

Hee, hee. :) Maybe an 1851 or 1860 might fit. The 1847 Walker is too big, by far.

awesome shooters!! .454 ball with 30-40gr fg shoots awesome in my dads. Expect it to shoot 6 to 8 inches high at 25 yards.

FrontierGander said:
awesome shooters!! .454 ball with 30-40gr fg shoots awesome in my dads. Expect it to shoot 6 to 8 inches high at 25 yards.
That info will be helpful. Thanks!

I had one for a while to just play around with. I used 55gr in mine. Don't be surprised if the loading lever falls down when you shoot it. It's a known problem. I used a velcro strip to hold it up.

Is that period correct Velcro, Pete? :) 
If the loading lever does fall down, I think I will use a leather thong. The Velcro I have around is a hard fabric that I wouldn't like rubbing against the barrel.

It was too big to use in my CAS competition, so nobody saw the velcro but me.

I used two Colt 1860's for the shoots. I kept those PC.

It would be better to use a .457" lead ball with that Walker, or any Dragoon.
The big "horse pistols" for whatever reason tend to run with larger chambers than the 1860 Colt, 1858 Remington and other .44s.
Speer and Hornady make swaged .457 balls, available throughout North America in any well-stocked outdoor or gun store. Frankly, I wish they also made .462" balls. I learned many years ago, and have counseled for some 20 years, that oversized balls create wider bearing bands when they are seated in the chamber.
This wider bearing band provides more surface area for the rifling to grip and engrave, and keeps the ball from sliding forward during the recoil of other chambers being fired.
The larger bullet, by virtue of its wider bearing band, also seems to promote better accuracy. Certainly, it does no harm.
All of the Colts, including the originals made in the 19th century, shoot high at 25 yards. They were viewed as supplanting the rifle out to 50 or 100 yards. An exception is probably the .31 caliber pocket Colts. They still shoot high, but lose accuracy rapidly beyond 25 yards. But then, they were only intended for personal protection at across-the-table ranges.
Enjoy that Walker, but remember that if you have problems with it, at only 1,100 made it was essentially a large production prototype. Lessons were learned and improvements made that were instituted in the Dragoon models that followed. The final Dragoon, the 3rd Model, is in my estimation the best of all the old "horse pistols."

Thank you and Pete for sharing your experiences with the horse pistols. I am looking forward to taking it to the outdoor range. I'll take either an 1860 or 1858 with to compare.
I only have the .454 balls, so I'll try them first.
Ron

I have gotten by with .454 balls in both of mine with no problems. I love those heavy horse pistols, my dad laid claim to my first one. Guess he has wanted one since he was a young man.

It rang the 100 yd gong very nice, once I figured out my hold and aiming points.
Mike

I have a friend who has one he shoots .454 balls in his with no problems one of the most accurate hand guns Ive ever shot. Still have one on my maybe next list.

"Dirty" Harry would be proud to carry that hand smoker you got there RonC.
Nice peace maker!

I use 28 grains of FFFg , waxed felt wad over powder and plain ball in my 3rd model dragoon,  pretty accurate load, and I too have the occasional rammer drop, so use a period correct india rubber band !! Ver nice  pistol you have there, we have the odd one down under too.

I'll have to add more shoulder exercises to my workout so that I can hold this hand-cannon. It's easy to understand why these revolvers were carried in holsters on the pommels of the saddle. It would be quite a burden to carry them in a belt holster.
Ron

Dirty Harry did carry, actually two, when he was the Outlaw Josey Wales! Classic Clint

Latest posts

Back