A really good friend

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mofish

Reaction score
Just got back from the Commie left coast where I was visiting with friends and kids. One old friend of mine sent back a bunch of odds and ends of muzzleloading stuff, along with a couple of rifles. I took out the rolling block he gave me in 45/70 to my range today to play with it. I haven't got any cartridges loaded with Bp right now, so I took a couple of smokeless loads I had sitting around, and tried a couple different loads in 5 shot groups at 50 yards. I think this rifle is going to be a keeper !....and what a good friend to give me guns like this !
bJNj9fy.jpg

31 GR. of 3031 with a cast 405 Gr. bullet
USQB8dH.jpg

45 Gr. of 3031 with a jacketed 405 Gr. bullet
bacoEas.jpg

He IS a friend! I use 3031 in my Marlin 95 to drive a 400 grain sp to 1800 fps. I've actually gotten 1" groups at 100 yards; but I cannot shoot like that anymore. I really like that rifle, and it is amazingly accurate.

Just got back from the Commie left coast where I was visiting with friends and kids. One old friend of mine sent back a bunch of odds and ends of muzzleloading stuff, along with a couple of rifles. I took out the rolling block he gave me in 45/70 to my range today to play with it. I haven't got any cartridges loaded with Bp right now, so I took a couple of smokeless loads I had sitting around, and tried a couple different loads in 5 shot groups at 50 yards. I think this rifle is going to be a keeper !....and what a good friend to give me guns like this !
bJNj9fy.jpg

31 GR. of 3031 with a cast 405 Gr. bullet
USQB8dH.jpg

45 Gr. of 3031 with a jacketed 405 Gr. bullet
bacoEas.jpg
;)
NICE range report and scope-less shooting Mofish👍 Thanks for sharing.
Both your friend and the rifle are keepers for sure;)
----------------------
p.s. 3031 was one of those powders I always kept stocked-up on. Looks like that rifles eats whatever you feed it. If you happen to come across some .45/70 BP cartridges I'd be interested in how they perform on the range with that rifle.

;)
NICE range report and scope-less shooting Mofish👍 Thanks for sharing.
Both your friend and the rifle are keepers for sure;)
----------------------
p.s. 3031 was one of those powders I always kept stocked-up on. Looks like that rifles eats whatever you feed it. If you happen to come across some .45/70 BP cartridges I'd be interested in how they perform on the range with that rifle.
One of these days I'll be loading up some black powder for that rifle...just have to get caught up on some work around here to have the time to spare. He also gave me a Marlin/ballard rifle in 32/40 that I have to get to the range also. He sent me a bunch of boxes of muzzleloading stuff that I need to get things done with as well.....and my little shop is a mess with stuff stacked everywhere. I have been blessed with a few of the best friends a person could hope for !!

A rifle that nice should make a serious BP shooter. #3031 is my most used smokeless powder; it's loaded into 3 calibers I use.

At one time I did a lot of black powder cartridge loading and shooting, but have pretty much gotten away from it and just use muzzleloaders most of the time with my black powder. The local club I shoot with only does muzzleloaders, but a club years ago I belonged to we competed with both.
I'll still be out soon trying black in this 45/70 at the range.

Good shooting, nice rifle, is it a Pedersoli? I have their long barrel target rifle but haven't pushed it out past 200 yet. I load BP loads for it and my trapdoor .45-70's, I only load my original trapdoors to 55 gn. though. Try black, your will never regret it........

Good shooting, nice rifle, is it a Pedersoli? I have their long barrel target rifle but haven't pushed it out past 200 yet. I load BP loads for it and my trapdoor .45-70's, I only load my original trapdoors to 55 gn. though. Try black, your will never regret it........
It's an old original, not a Pedersoli. Originally when my friend got it, it was chambered in 45/110, but he had it altered to the 45/70, and only shot black powder in it. I have no idea of the brand of barrel on it. He and I both shot competition years ago and matches at that club consisted of muzzleloaders and black powder cartridge. The range there is closed now and between that and his age, he has pretty much given up on that kind of shooting.
I don't do and cartridge competition anymore either, just muzzleloading.
I'm sure I'll be taking the 45/70 out hog hunting just for fun before too long.

Remington Rolling Block has been my favorite since I first bought one in 1968, in .41 Egyptian. Cost me $7.50 + postage. I then got a kit from Numrich Arms to rebarrel it to .444 Marlin. That cost me $45 + postage, IIRC. I wish they were still that cheap! It's such a simple action, not much can go wrong with it. It was so cheap, I gave it to a friend after I dropped it and the stock broke at the wrist. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Anyway, I envy you; that's a beautiful piece!

Latest posts

Back