First Handgun Whitetail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Reaction score
I posted in another thread that an elderly gentleman (that I really don’t know) on another message board private messaged me about a month ago and asked if I would take his Encore 6.5x55 pistol and kill a deer and/or a pig with it. I thought it was an odd request but agreed. The man used to hunt but either can’t or doesn’t want to anymore. He was a competitive shooter at one time and gave me a bunch of handloaded match ammo to start out with, but since I’ve owned a couple or three rifles in that caliber, I have everything needed to make my own hunting ammo. The load I came up with is 129 gr SST, 7828ssc powder over a CCI 250 primer in Norma brass, and it worked great on the buck.
This was a lot of fun, but if I was setting up my own hunting handgun, it would have a red dot sight instead of a scope. The field of view is too narrow for my taste with the handgun scope on the gun, but I’m not making any changes to another man’s gun.
IMG_0161.jpeg

I have used a 357 mag. to kill a few deer. Not sure I would recommend it. After shooting them they run off a ways and look back. You sit there wondering if you even hit it. Then they tip over. But a 6.5 x 55 is much more cartridge. that should be a lot f fun. Easy to cary if your putting some miles on. Congrats.

Pretty cool! I remember shooting a 30-30 round through a TC contender when I was younger. The recoil was enough for me to only shoot it once!

Pretty cool! I remember shooting a 30-30 round through a TC contender when I was younger. The recoil was enough for me to only shoot it once!
As I said, this one is borrowed, but I have already put together my own in 308. I’ll admit that it does buck and snort a little.:oops:

I’ll admit that it does buck and snort a little.:oops:
I liken my Optima pistol to a souped up car I had. The car would lay a guy firmly back in the seat when it took off and that pistol garners one's attention when the trigger is pulled. In my opinion, if the handgun doesn't command respect when it is being shot, meaning sufficient recoil, then its not a hunting gun.

Latest posts

Back