AA-5744, VV N-110, IMR SR-4759 OR....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which powder would you suggest for 10ML-II smokeless newby?

• VV N-110

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AA-5744

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • IMR-4227

• IMR-SR4759

• Other

• Total voters

big6x6

Reaction score
So someone buys a new Savage 10ML-II. What are your CURRENT thoughts on which powder to start with. For a while it was 4227 then it seemed 5744 was THE powder... NOW....? What would YOU suggest for a complete smokeless newby?

I voted 5744 because it is easily scoop loaded and from 42-44gr this powder is really easy to work with.

4759 has many of the same benefits and is cleaner burning.. Never scoop loaded it myself..

Darn near a coin toss between the two but 5744 gets the nod.

In my HB 167, 44gr of 5744 and a 300 XTP, 275 XPB, 225 XPB and 275 Ballistic Extreme have a POI shift of about 1/2" or so...

I can't comment on 5744 because I've never used it. It's not available here. I tried 4227 when I first started but found it's very prone to misfires unless your bullet/sabot combo is good and tight. Accuracy wasn't that good but admitt I didn't spend enough time with before I moved on to 4759. I use 43 grains and got MOA from the start, when I did my part. No problems with temperatures. I've shot in summer when it's plenty warm here and of course there's our winters which can be extreme. I've shot when temperature were WAY below freezing with no problem.

I chose the SR4759 with book loads it will give a 100-150 FPS more in speed than the 5744. It is easy to ignite and one of the easiest to find everywhere.

DC

I voted for 5744. Its easier and more forgiving than other powders.

In my area, both 5744 and 4759 are available. I started with 5744.

I ordered some 4759 & N120 for my first sessions with my Savage. I voted 4759 but both worked great depending on the bullet.

After thinking about it overnight :lol: . I voted for my old favorite N-110. With a 250gr bullet you'd really be hard-pressed to find a more user-friendly powder. I've used from 34gr to 42gr and have gotten awesome accuracy in most guns. Runner up goes to SR-4759.

You are very correct on N-110, it is my stand by... Availability of VV powders made me look elsewhere.

I wish N110 was readily available.

I'm probably one of the few that has never got 5744 to shoot worth a crap out of 4 different Savages. N110 has been sub MOA with 4759 a close runnerup.

I would definitely recommend N110 for a beginner or a seasoned veteran alike. I remember shooting sub MOA groups right out of the box with my Savage and N110. Using N110 and the right bullet and sabot equals instant success!

I voted for other. I use N120 with 275 gr. XPB for hunting. I am using N110 with 250 gr. SST's for off season shooting and also will be trying 5744 with XTP's for summer shooting. I have 2 extra scopes with QR rings and may even use xtp's for doe season-very close shots out to 50 yards. Although 1 of the does I got with the 275 gr. XPB's went down quickly(a drop and one hoof twitch ) the cost is much higher.

I used xtps with N110 at the end of last season to sight in another scope and was very impressed with the 100 yard accuracy. For my old eyes a 1" group off of a bench is good. I was impressed but had to stop as it got too cold to shoot. Actually too windy.

I'm fortunate that I was able to find N110 and N120 locally.
On one of the other posts someone referred to the Savage ml as a Christmas tree that you keep buying decorations and accessories for. My Christmas is lasting all year.

Other... IMR-4198. Started with IMR-4759 and it did ok. But the availability and accuracy I got from IMR-4198 with a 300gn bullet right from the start gets my nod...

jbmabrey said:
I voted for other. I use N120 with 275 gr. XPB for hunting. I am using N110 with 250 gr. SST's for off season shooting and also will be trying 5744 with XTP's for summer shooting. I have 2 extra scopes with QR rings and may even use xtp's for doe season-very close shots out to 50 yards. Although 1 of the does I got with the 275 gr. XPB's went down quickly(a drop and one hoof twitch ) the cost is much higher.

I used xtps with N110 at the end of last season to sight in another scope and was very impressed with the 100 yard accuracy. For my old eyes a 1" group off of a bench is good. I was impressed but had to stop as it got too cold to shoot. Actually too windy.

I'm fortunate that I was able to find N110 and N120 locally.
On one of the other posts someone referred to the Savage ml as a Christmas tree that you keep buying decorations and accessories for. My Christmas is lasting all year.
DITTO ON THE 120 AND XPB!!!!!------------- :D

I don't think there is a single powder. BUt I'd have to think a beginner would use one of the powders suggested by the manual. Now 4227 is not a manual powder any more. I don't know if my consistent harping on the fact that "no-one" should ever use it in the 10ML had anything to do with it's demise or not, but I hope so.

Of the three powders suggested in the manual only Imr-4759 and N110 can live up to the speed listed in the guide lines. Xmr-5744 can be depended on to be up to 200fps slower (bullet wise) than listed. So it's 4759 or N110. Of those two it's hard to decide because they're both really good. But N110 is difficult for some to find so I go with 4759.

After one is out of the beginner stage he might want to go a bit faster. In that case N120 works well up to 2300fps for 300 grain bullets. H-4198 has lots of followers for shooting 250 grain bullets to 2600+fps. Reloader 7 is about the same as H-4198.

H-4198 is my personal favorite but for someone who's never had the box open on a new 10ML I'll go with Imr-4759.

My vote goes for 4759. 43.5 of 4759, 250SST and HARVESTER SHORT SABOT is very accurate. Larry

I voted for AA5744.

I read a good bit before I started and decided N120 was the way to go. After a long unfruitful range session and posting here, Bill Ball came to the rescue. As luck would have it, he and his Dad Henry live 30 minutes from me. He put me back on course with the book load of starting with 42 grains of 5744 and 300gr XTP's. 6 shots at the next range session and I was done. Didn't even have to try any other larger grain loads.

This year I've found that 43 groups just as well. Seems like a very forgiving combo.

I voted for 4759 although I get best accuracy with 4227. Since I changed to RB's bushing breechplug I have never had a misfire with 4227, although it was quite common before.

4759 is the ONLY one of the three recommended powders I can find locally so it has to get the nod if for no other reason than availability. The best groups I have achieved with 4759 in my gun are 50% larger than with 4227, but that is still only 1 1/2" which is well within reasonable hunting tolerances. During the colder temps of hunting season I just don't have faith in the reliability of 4227.

Latest posts

Back