AccidentalDischarge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50bowhunter

Reaction score
Ill start this by saying this wasn’t my gun and I wasn’t even there. A buddy just called saying he was at the range and had shot his CVA Optima several times. He loaded gun, opened the action and put in a primer. When he closed the action the gun discharged. Fortunately he was using proper firearm safety and no one was hurt. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

I have heard of such thing previously. I don’t know the details or remember the details. If I remember right one manufacturer did a recall of a certain model and brand though. Anyway I surmise thst a firing pin got stuck forward. So that when you close the action it could maybe fire. But then millions of break action guns have been made and those don’t fire when you close them. So maybe it is my brsin having a short circuit to s memory all wrong.

Its been a long time since I had break open rifles and all of them were of the Encore platform. With many thousands of rounds fired, I never had one fire on closing.
I'm wondering even if the firing pin stuck out some, rather that would ignite the primer. Generally, the primer needs to be struck.
There very well could have been the possibility of operator error. Hammer back?
As long as I've been on the forum, I'm not sure I've ever read of it happening???

I can think of several things that might contribute to a situation like this:
-longer primer than average
-monkeying with the firing pin bushing, adjusting for primer crush
-dirty or corroded firing ping, not retracting
-O-ring, washer, or debris in primer pocket preventing primer from fully seating

Any combination of these things might possibly pose a problem, but add a few of them together with “stacking tolerances,” and who knows what might happen

I’m not asserting any special knowledge, nor am I looking for an argument… but it seems possible that some combination of factors could cause an accidental discharge.

Thank goodness the OP’s buddy kept it pointed in a safe direction! 👍

Every time my encore pin would start to stick , I had a hard time opening the gun after discharge.scary not really knowing what caused the gun to discharge

My optima done the same thing back in may this year.
This was a new rifle second time at the range the fire pin did not hit the primer so I’m thinking bad primer but never had any more problems out of it.
Using T7 primers.

I've never heard of this happening! Even if the firing pin was dirty how would that ignite the primer? Maybe a little longer primer and closing the action fast could ignite the primer? 🤷‍♂️

I've never heard of this happening! Even if the firing pin was dirty how would that ignite the primer? Maybe a little longer primer and closing the action fast could ignite the primer? 🤷‍♂️
It is just like the slam fire system used on many submachine guns. Many submachine guns use a fixed firing pin. Everytime the bolt slams down it fires. The with the break action gun if the user closes it briskly it could fire if the firing pin is stuck forward. There ought to be a short scuff/scratch mark on the cartridge head with the primer showing it too. But not always. The other thing mentioned was a 209 primer protruding from the pocket then when the action is closed on it then it could fire off as it gets crushed.

Come to think of it, some people have a really have a bad habit of putting their finger on the trigger too. Thus they could accidentally fire the thing upon closing it up too.

Then there is always a more sensitive primer too. I remember folks causing primers to fire off when reloading and they dropped one on the floor. Plus you would never think of it but some guys have set off a round or two in a box of open ammo when they fired off a round and the ejected case landed on a live round setting it off on the table.

One of the scariest things for a ammo manufacturer is in making and loading primer compound into percussion caps and primers. That stuff can go off with little to no provocation. I remember those caps kids would get and they throw them onto the sidewalk to get a big bang out of them.

Many factors could lead up to this,

Do you know if he closes the bolt slowly or not?

Did he fire any more shots after the mishap?

This. You beat me to it! It can also be a bent firing pin that didn't retract fully because it was dirty. So don't just clean but replace.
To clarify, if the firing pin hole is dirty and the firing pin gets stuck and protrudes just a little then the firing pin can be bent when the barrel is closed or opened.

I would want to inspect the primer. Does it have a firing pin dent in it? That would be a good indicator of what happened.

I have heard of a stuck firing pin doing this and it is a good reminder that a ML is loaded once the primer is in the breach plug and should be kept pointed in a safe direction

The firing pin gets stuck in the extended position, once the breach is slammed shut it hits the primer.

The firing pin gets stuck in the extended position, once the breach is slammed shut it hits the primer.
Interesting! I guess that I never thought about it that way! So it's basically hitting the primer when the action is closed. Kinda turning it into a rim fire! Makes sense!

My accura v2 manual says part of the cleaning process is to pull the firing pin, spring and clean, lube. I've done this periodically, but not as often as cleaning the barrel and bp. I will definitely keep a closer eye on the firing pin.

Those new to CVA's. Get in the habit of checking the firing pin. When you brake open the action to install a primer. Before installing the primer with the action open pull the trigger and hold it. Push the hammer forward see that it slides back flush with the the firing pin bushing. Then you know it free and not stuck. Then install the primer and close the action. I do it everytime I shoot. It only takes a couple of seconds.

You can't be too safe.

Latest posts

Back