AccidentalDischarge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those new to CVA's. Get in the habit of checking the firing pin. When you brake open the action to install a primer. Before installing the primer with the action open pull the trigger and hold it. Push the hammer forward see that it slides back flush with the the firing pin bushing. Then you know it free and not stuck. Then install the primer and close the action. I do it everytime I shoot. It only takes a couple of seconds.

You can't be too safe.
Thats very sound advice.

I would try to do this again with just a primer in place. Can you push the hammer off my forcing it?

I am not familiar with the Optima design but own two Encores and a Contender. Never had one fire on closing the action. That goes for all my over and unders too.

When I clean my CVA Accura MR, I always remove the bushing, firing pin and spring and clean the parts along with the hole. I put a smidge of anti-sieze on the bushing, re-assemble and do the firing pin, trigger, hammer test to verify firing pin is free to move in and out.

A friend of mine has a CVA Wolf and has never removed the bushing to clean the firing pin and spring. He’ll have an issue some day and the bushing will probably not come out very easily. Not sure why he doesn’t take a few minutes to clean it.

My accura v2 manual says part of the cleaning process is to pull the firing pin, spring and clean, lube. I've done this periodically, but not as often as cleaning the barrel and bp. I will definitely keep a closer eye on the firing pin.

This! I unscrew the receiver face and pull the spring and pin to clean after every shooting session or when it's been fired in the field. I wouldn't be surprised if some owners of these models never clean this area causing stuck pins.

Latest posts

Back