Accura and BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quigley

Reaction score
Who uses BH209 in their Accura? Are Winchester W209 shotshell primers hot enough to lite it off? Ive heard alot of people have had problems with hangfires. Bought a can of that black gold today(BH209) just wondering if I should find some hotter primers.

Thats what i prefer for most shooting.

Don at Ramshot recommended CCI209M and Fed 209A but the standard CCI and Win209 work fine for me. IMO Win209s are not as dirty either and they fit perfect. Opinions and personal experiences vary a lot on this issue.

Very firm consistent sabot seating and a fairly tight sabot seem to have the most effect on accuracy with BH209. It also tends to work best with medium too heavy bullet weights. By "best" i mean the most velocity gain compared to other powders.

Just keep you breach plug channel clean and it works great.

My Accura uses the BH209, and the W209 primers pretty good. Most of the time ignition is instant. There have been a few times where there has been hangfires, and once there was a misfire. My Accura has been left loaded in some pretty cold temperatures and for extended lengths of time during hunting season, and still been quite reliable.

I started out using crush rib sabot, but seemed to get hangfire, so i swtiched to the Harvester smooth sabot, which is tighter.

I do get hangfire when the breech plug fire channel gets carboned up, so i drill out the carbon with a 7/64" drill, which makes for more reliable ignition.

I have considered trying a magnum primer, but haven't gotten around to it yet. However, i am in the process of modifying the breech plug so that it more closely resembles the breech plug in my Omega. My Omega, has never had a misfire, or a hangfire with BH209, and W209 primers; it has endured weeks without cleaning and temperatures as low as -19*.

Back