Accuracy of electronic scales

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Deer

Reaction score
I have read on this, and other forums, about electronic v/s old style beam scales. Some prefer beam scales because of accuracy. Others prefer electronic because it?s faster, and they feel that accuracy is good enough. How good is good enough? If you could, would you buy a more accurate scale?
After researching all the electronic scales that are marketed for reloading, I found that most could measure to 0.1 gr. Since some old style users say that this is not good enough, it makes me wonder if some electronic users feel like they are giving up a little accuracy for convenience.
A little more searching led me to some precision scales that are marketed to jewelers. The best three models I found are as follows:

```````````|Jennings JPG-10 | Jennings JPG-20 | MyWeight GemPro50
Capacity ``` | 10g (154gr) `` | `` 20g (308gr) ` | `` 10g (154gr)
Accuracy (g) `| .001g (.0154gr) | .002g (.0308gr) | `` .002g (.0308gr)
Accuracy (gr)`| ```` .1gr ```` | ```` .1gr ```` | ```` .05gr

All models can measure much more accurately than the 0.1gr the normal scales. With the Jennings, you have to measure in grams to measure that accurately. If you want 57gr, you just weigh for 3.693g. If you do that with the JPG-10, you will be accurate to .0154 gr. With the GemPro 50, you can just measure in grains and be accurate to .05gr.

I will be buying scales just for the Savage, so I should only need enough capacity to measure less than 100gr. If I buy a model that can only measure 154 gr, will regret it later? The weight of the powder tray can be re-zeroed by the tare function, but will still take away from the total amount of weighing capacity. I?ve been muzzleloading for several years, but I have no experience with weighing powder. I appreciate any advice you can give.

Beam scales accuracy is the same as electronic scales .01 so I see no difference. I can tell you that the digital scales are much easier and quicker than the beams. I'd spend my money on the digital any day of the week.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index ... D&ProdID=7

I think that one would serve you well. It can be powered from an adaptor which I think to be a major plus, or you can use batteries. Stainless platform, multiple measure units including grains, and large enough to gain a little stability. That dealer is authorized by My Weigh and he has most every scale they offer. If you go with a pocket scale, I think you'll eventually be cussin' it.

http://myweigh.com/pocketscales_Durasca ... ision.html would probably be a good choice as well, but I don't see anything about use of an adaptor. I looked hard at these two models before deciding on a PACT - but I doubt the PACT is one bit better.

I bought the Cabelas scale, and it does good every once in a while. When I weight my bullets to go into lots, it will get off a good bit if I don't stop every couple of bullets and let it go back to zero. I wouldn't recommend this scale now that I've had the chance to use it. I think the Pact is a much better choice. I think there are great digital scales out there, and an AC adapter with battery option is a good choice.

If I buy a model that can only measure 154 gr, will regret it later?

A LOT of things weigh more such as arrows and bullets. I weigh both on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Back