Accuracy Woes:Plastic Build Up?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tar-12

Reaction score
How many of you Sav. owners have experienced this?I personally have not.But have heard of others having this issue.How common is it? I typically start the season with 15 to 20 shots of 5744,MMP sabots on a clean barrel. I do not clean after this range session, but proceed to hunt the entire season with a avg. of a additional 8-10 shots. Maybe that is not enough for build up? Your thoughts?

I clean bore and breech plug every 20-25 shots. More concern is for the breech plug than bore. But while it's down I do both. As far as plastic buildup I have never experienced it.

I get my rifle ready and then do not touch it until after the season. I may have 25 to 35 shots in my ML11 and it has never failed to fire accurately or kill the deer shot at.

I've had accuracy "woes" before but I usually can NOT explain it. I've never "seen" any sabot residue in my barrels BUT..that doesn't mean there isn't any.

But...If my rifle were shooting great at the range...I wouldn't TOUCH it until after the season, PERIOD. Build up really means NOTHING unless accuracy goes south.

I have had some plastic buildup but not at my current load levels, back when I shot some light speed loads in excess of 2500 fps I had that problem but no longer.

My step-son brought his CVA to the house saying "it ain't hittin' nuttin" ! (a University of Missouri graduate). At that time, I did not own a muzzleloader, so the only experience I had with looking down a "fouled barrel" was with some smokeless CF rifles. When those rifles are "clean", they appear clean. His CVA looked like a gravel road in there, mostly some plastic, which came out with a little elbow-grease and some Butche's Bore Shine cleaner. His bullet of choice is the Power-belt types. And after I got it sparkling clean, that puppy hammered those PBs into an inch and a half at 100 yds.That's the best it has grouped. Getting that stuff out of there really made a difference in his rifle. Hopefully he has learned something from this experience. And I learned lots about muzzleloaders, also.

Latest posts

Back