Aimpoint Red-dot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
Anyone got an Aimpoint reddot on thier ML? How do you like it?

Put one on my wifes and she loves it. Tried a 1X scope, but that didn't work. Made the target look smaller at 50 yards :shock: And she just couldn't get the hang of open sights, so we went to a red dot. She wanted one you didn't have to center and Aimpoint makes the only red dot that you don't have to center.

It was pricey but nice. Tripled the value of her little Rossi ML. :lol:

elkstalkr said:

Not on a ML, but on a pistol-- the only red dot tubes that are worth having, that I've used. Even the Gilmore I had on my Bushmaster was poor in comparison.

In the LE and Military community there are only two red dot sights I know of that are considered worth having, the aimpoint and the bushnell/eotech Holosight. They work on different principles but both are fairly tough. The aimpoint will probably take a little more abuse however the eotech military models are pretty darn tough. I talked to the eotech rep when they first started hitting the market here in the USA and he told me the Quatar Navy mounts them on twin 50's and no recoil or saltwater problems occur. As far as shooting I have used both on assault rifles and I like the holosight/eotech a little better.

RandyWakeman said:
elkstalkr said:

Not on a ML, but on a pistol-- the only red dot tubes that are worth having, that I've used.

I would agree with that I have shot with several cheap models and was not pleased with any of them.

I have a Bushnell Trophy RED DOT on my CVA Staghorn and soon on a Ruger Redhawk. Granted they are not the best RED DOT on the market, but better then some I have used. They have their drawbacks without a doubt, but where I hunt in the cedar marshes, snap shots are few and far between, low light is usually the standard or at least shadows, and with the 11 brightness settings and the 3 MOA I have actually had good luck with it. I am sure the one you're talking about is a much better outfit then what I have, but so far it works great.

I have actually shot some impressive groups using the RED DOT and I also find that off hand shots are a lot easier with a RED DOT for me then with open sights.

Last deer season I had the RED DOT on and a doe that came in at dusk. She stood out there about 40 yards out, in the shadows and I really think had I wanted to shoot her, it would not have been to hard to do. I put the dot on her, and watched her through it until the season closed for the day.

After I walked back to the house, I walked to my 35 yard bench station and took a bead on a bulls eye I had sitting out there in the trap. It was pretty dark actually by this time. And with just the light from the big yard light was still able to see the bull, put the dot on it, and punch a hole through it. So I am pretty sure that doe would have been in a world of hurt if I had been inclined to do so.

Latest posts

Back