Alberta Combo Bear & Moose Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawgHunter

Reaction score
I was just informed that I may have an opportunity to pitch hit for a guy who has a serious medical condition. He's already booked and paid for an Alberta moose, 2 bear and duck hunt. Here's my problem:

If I get to go, it will be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'll be taking 2 rifles. What should I take. I have many choice but have narrowed it down to 3 rifles.

My Remington 700 in 7mm Mag will be one rifle. SS barrel, synthetic stock and some mods makes this rifle shoot sub MOA using Nosler Partitions in 175 grn.

Do I take another Rem 700 in 7mm, 270. 280 or an original Winchester model 1895 in 405 Winchester/ peep sight? My other option is my Disc Elite 50 cal.

Every option will easily kill a moose or bear with a properly placed shot but I'm looking for a second opinion. Thanks in advance for your response.

Well you'll certainly need a shotgun for your duck hunt portion of the hunt! :D

You KNOW what I'd take if it were me...the Disc Elite... ANYBODY can do it with a 7 Mag! 8)

I like the Old Lever Guns, wasn't the .405 what Teddy Roosevelt called his "big medicine"? Regardless that would be really cool.

the 405 has to go on the trip. that is just too cool of a gun not to take

As you stated it is a once in a lifetime opportunity,take the 7MM Mag. and leave nothing to chance.The chance may never come again!A bear or Moose outside the effective range of the Disc, but well with in range of the 7mm mag..no brainer to me!

I was gonna suggest a 300 Win Mag but didnt see it there ...by default for me it would have to be the 7MM Mag then. :lol:

280 would be my back-up. You may experience some extremely long shots plus very tuff weather conditions so in a once in a lifetimer...I'd go with these. Best of luck.

Take the 7mm and the muzzleloader but I sertious doubt that you'll encounter many situations where the .50 cal won't shine.

Back