ALLIANT BLACK MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvilorio1

Reaction score
Here lately on all the forums that I visit all I have been hearing about is this new BLACK MZ powder by Alliant, well I did get four cans in the other day and sent one to Omega 45 for him to test and he did in his 45 cal.. Today was my turn and I took it out and tested it in my ACCURA 50 cal., and let me tell you BH 209 has nothing to worry about, the stuff is not consistent from shot to shot, it leaves a crud ring and a white color residue in the barrel and as far as easy to load it is to a certain point. The test I conduct went this way. I loaded the gun with 110 gr of Black MZ and used a Aerolite 250, fire the first shot which I did not count to dirty the bore and the crony read 2001 fps on a clean bore, I them loaded and fire three more at my target and you will see the results in a minute, I was not happy I had over a 4" spread between shot. This gun I was using was sighted in with the Aerolites and was dead, I so clean the barrel out and load it with 110gr BH 209 and the same bullets, I did this so there where no questions later on as to maybe the scope was off, I fire one shot that you will see on the target and them four more using the BH 209 and what a difference. Well let me show the results and you can make up your own mind.
ACCURA V2 T-HOLE 50CAL.
BUSHNELL DOA 250
BH 209 AND BLACK MZ 110 GR.
AEROLITES 250GR.
FIOCCHI 616 209 PRIMERS
100 YRDS.
This is the target I shot after I tested the BACL MZ with the BH 209, the first shot was a little high in red bull and them the next four right there.
Crony Stat:
1ST SHOT-1974
2ND SHOT-1998                 TOTAL VELOCITY-5953         AVERAGE VELOCITY-1984
3RD SHOT- 1981
I would say that is great.
ACCURAFLORIDA2008.jpg

This is the target I shot using BLACK MZ and the first target of the day. As you can see there is a great spread between shot, and I use the same charge and bullets for both targets.
Crony Stat for BLack MZ.
1ST SHOT-1687
2ND SHOT-1929                 TOTAL VELOCITY-5496              AVERAGE VELOCITY-1823
3RD SHOT- 1880
As you can see there is a great spread between shot, and yes I seated that bullet hard all three times.
ACCURAFLORIDA2005.jpg

This picutre will show you what the BP looks like after firing the BLAKC MZ and what the powder actually looks like.
ACCURAFLORIDA2007.jpg

ACCURAFLORIDA2009.jpg

ACCURAFLORIDA2010.jpg

AS far as I'm concerned Black MZ doesnt live up to all the hype people have been giving it. It looks like APP powder, i do not see any pros about it even thought Omega 45 gave it some, cons they are many like;
1. not consistent
2. still have the crud ring
3. it's get harder to load the more you shoot with out cleaning
Well I put my 2 cents worth in, and as far as I'm concerned there is nothing in the market today that comes even close to BH 209, and for you guys out there that want some Black MZ I got three cans I will sell you real cheap, because I know ti will not sell at the store and I won't put on any one else unless he insist knowing how it preforms.

wow, looks like kitty litter american pioneer.

Thanks for the post! I heard some big talk about this stuff and if you get a crud ring, what the heck is the point in using it? LOL.

It does look like it is a bit chunky but, looks can be deceiving.

Here is my review from Aug 31st with the Wonder Powder. Shot in my Pro Hunter w/ .45 Encore Bergara barrel.

I received a bottle of Alliant Black MZ today and proceeded to the range for testing. I took one of my .45's, a proven shooter with 100gr BH209-Triple 7 3F and a 200gr Hornady SST.

Pro's:
No swabbing
No crud ring

Con's
No accuracy

This is what 100gr gave me at 100yds with no swabbing.
mz2-1.jpg

Going to 110gr 2 shots did not hit paper. One did hit a 2x4 about a foot low and 9" left. I then took 2 shots swabbing with 100gr and they were about 4" apart. I dropped down to 90gr and 2 shots were about 5 inches apart.

I almost forgot to mention they do put these silica gel packs in the bottle! :roll:
MZ.jpg

Now after seeing a .50 review of the powder:
Alliant should be ashamed of themselves!!!!!

cvilorio and Omega45...Very informative range reports for both the .50 and the .45 :!:

p.s. Looks like I'll be sticking with BH209.

guys i swear, that has GOT to be american pioneer. Check out the light gray and t hen the dark gray/black granules. American pioneer / jim shockeys gold looks just like that. I wonder if Alliant has a deal to use american pioneer super powder and just rename it?

ok let me first say I am a bh209 fan through and through. I am just wondering if either of you tried any different charges other that the same amount of bh 209. A different powder may and probably will use a different charge. It most likely will require lelss to even think about being accurate. I bet you could do the same test with most subs out there and get no better results. Again I plan to stick with bh 209.

:D

Thanks for a great range report on that powder. I have to agree100% with you gents. That POWDER looks exactly like APP/JSG. I use to shoot JSG and that was one of the main issues I had with the powder. IT'S NOT UNIFORM IN ANY WAY OR FASHION.
Looks like the same powder to me IMHO :!:

Ray............. ;)

I shoot a lot of sabots through my chrony. It has a 25' 3.5mm cord that attaches to my phone or tablet now. I set my chrony at 20' from my bench. The sabots all fall in a nice line between 15'-18' some fall right in front of the chrony too. But that 20' ( with sabot loads ) has been working well for me. I'll set iy 10' or 15' when I'm shooting bullet to bore.

Pretty much where I have them. My gun room is humidity controlled and remains a constant temp between 60* & 70* and they are in a sealed sterl box.

Latest posts

Back