American Knight?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby5

Reaction score
I have a American Knight and was wondering is there anything you can do to improve it? I know it’s probably the cheapest Knight made but I got it for Christmas when I was a kid and I’m getting back into muzzleloading and was gonna use this rifle. I know it’s no long range rifle but I’m hunting woods and 100 yards is the max shot. I know it’s not a state of the art muzzleloader but where the American Knights decent rifles ?

What do you mean improve it?
Its a Knight, and yes... though on the lower end its still a decent rifle and should function and shoot well for you. You should definitely be able to get that rifle to shoot accurately out to 100yds. Most of the Knight plunger guns do very well with 80-100gr of Pyrodex or T7, 240gr-260gr saboted bullets, and #11 caps.

I was looking for a new stock for it the factory one is cheap. The American Knight is practically a wolverine with a cheaper stock is t it ?

Every gun can be improved. The factory or manufacturer cuts cost by cutting corners. For you and I its a labor of love to dissemble our firearms and make miner modifications. For the manufacturer the modifications cost money and its passed on to you and I. They want to make it 100% reliable and cheap. So they skip some of the improvements for profit.

Find out what you want to improve. Go to you tube or ask on this forum. The metal in some guns can be "bedded" in the stock. Barrels can be "floated". Triggers can be improved for length of pull, creep, and pounds of pressure. Make sure you understand what you are doing before you do it. Make sure your gun is not loaded.

For all of my modern rifles I bed the action, float the barrel, lap all the parts, do a trigger job, put clear nail polish on all the screws, before I even load custom ammo for each. Many of these mods can be applied to your muzzle loader.

Pretty much any part that will fit a new BigHorn and Wolverine will fit the American Knight. When you break down the parts cost you might as well just buy a new Wolverine on sale for $299. Just the Timney trigger and stock will cost you that much. You can also watch for MK85 Timney triggers on auction sites. Yours probably has a 2 screw Vehr trigger.

You could do more affordable upgrades like having the plunger assembly nitride treated also. Having the entire rifle done is expensive and i wouldnt do it to a well used bore anyway.

Latest posts

Back