ammo crunch is coming

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i was busy in Sept. as i went to 10 different maulmart stores n picked up 2600 #11 caps. I have started picking up 1 or 2 boxes of Fed auto-match .22 every time i go to my local maulmart. I think i have 3 k on hand for my Mrs. n her lil Ruger 10/22. I will buy another 10-12 boxes by Jan.

Yep, sometimes you got to wonder what is going on. The left hand and the right hand don't want to communicate with each other and all you do is slap yourself silly!

From what I have seen locally, powders and ammo are in stock. Academy has Monarch 9 mm brass case 115 FMJ for .20 a round. I picked up several 250 rd packs. Gun powders are also being stocked, even small pistol primers. Stuff I’m not seeing are large pistol and rifle primers and black powder caps. Have seen large pistol primers at Powder Valley.

From what I have seen locally, powders and ammo are in stock. Academy has Monarch 9 mm brass case 115 FMJ for .20 a round. I picked up several 250 rd packs. Gun powders are also being stocked, even small pistol primers. Stuff I’m not seeing are large pistol and rifle primers and black powder caps. Have seen large pistol primers at Powder Valley.
I recently purchased 6.5 creed brass that uses small rifle primers. No plan on using them immediately but if large rifle primers dry up for a long time, I will pull these out and reload them. I can get powders that work for me but aren't my first choice. I can work around that. I was at an auction and picked up bullet molds for my 45. These can double duty for muzzleloaders.

The local Sportsmans Warehouses had quite a few powders in stock this past weekend - forty to sixty different choices. I’ve been seeing pistol and small rifle primers available for several months. I suspect this will all change as we move into 2024.

My favorite LGS has a good supply of powders, but ran out of n110 a couple weeks ago. Ive got a few pounds but would like a couple more. They do have n120 which i also need(want). No bh209. They also have every primer in stock, except large rifle, and zero #10 caps. I am well stocked on primers, tho. I was in Ohio this weekend at the Fin, Fur, & Feather. Theyve got pretty good stock in powder, brass, and ammo. (Not sure about primers as they keep them locked away) Only Hodgdon brands tho, no Vihta Vouri or any others. Also, no bh209. So for those that need but havent laid in some supplies, don’t wait too much longer.

I was fully expecting BH209 to make an appearance on shelves this ML season but it appears that they completely missed the boat.

Also wasn't Goex supposed to make a return?

I’m making a prediction that even though there’s powder and ammo showing up on the shelves now it’s going to be sparse again by September.
I’m pretty well stocked, but I’m starting to play around with loading shotgun slugs and need to buy some different powders for that. I’m thinning down the number of calibers I load for, so I can keep a smaller powder/bullet inventory.

I’m making a prediction that even though there’s powder and ammo showing up on the shelves now it’s going to be sparse again by September.
I’m pretty well stocked, but I’m starting to play around with loading shotgun slugs and need to buy some different powders for that. I’m thinning down the number of calibers I load for, so I can keep a smaller powder/bullet inventory.
That seems to be the trend as with caps. They showed up on line at Academy/Bass Pro and vanished after a short time then show up again then poof….The last 2-3 times I have been to Academy and Bass Pro their powder stock was decent. I would love to score on those $6 caps from Walmart. 😆

I think we're going to see sporadic ammo and component shortages pretty regularly in years to come. Aging equipment and safety concerns at large manufacturers, the high cost of new manufacturing equipment, rising legal fees for manufacturers, large government ammo purchases all figure into the situation. It's impossible for most shooters to tell whether some of these shortages are artificially created to jack up prices, but I've always suspected that plays a role as well. And, of course, it's an election year, and the closer it comes, the faster ammo will fly off store shelves. There's not much most of us can do about any of this in any case. If you shoot regularly, it's best to view this as SNAFU and simply stock up whenever you can.

I'm well stocked on ammo, powder, primers and bullets. Man I'm glad I'm a handloader. Muzzleloader powder and percussion caps also. Right now if you buy from the right place like Natchez you can get 9mm CCI Blazers 115 gr. FMJ for $12.49 per 50box or $239.00 per 1000. Free S & H also. That's what the cost was in 2018. I can't handload the same load for that price. It's an election year so you know what happens. I've been telling people stock up now. Some didn't listen to me the last time. They wanted to buy from me. I said sorry! By the way percussion caps by CCI are only run once a year in June that is it. Maybe they had a short run in 2023, I don't know. As soon as they come out this year I'm restocking up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back