An awesome find for me

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonE

Reaction score
Well I happen to be looking through a BPCR site, when low and behold another shooter who had quite shooting due to medical situation had almost a case of Elephant BP which they don't make any longer, and was only charging about what he paid new for the 1 pound cans. So I was getting 11 pounds of fffg and 7 pound ffg.

Elephant Black Powder Case1.jpg

For me, I didn't mind a Sunday drive to Deer Lodge MT to pick it up.

Long story short, I'm now very well stocked up and also have an additional two partial pounds of Goex as well.

That was a fantastic break, Silent Walker. I don't ever seem to come across deals like that.

I live 173 miles from Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, ID, and if I hadn't gotten the deal I did on the Elephant powder @ $8 a pound that was 186.6 miles away in Deer Lodge, MT I would have gone to Buffalo Arms to buy Goex 3Fg @ $19.70 or Schuetzen Black Powder 3Fg @ $19.60 a pound price. When it comes to using real black powder, I do go for the cheapest I can get it for. Our local dealers are selling Goex 2Fg or 3Fg only at $24.99 a pound and you never get consistent lot groups of powder. When doing BPCR you also want all your powder from the same lot group, not a can here from one lot group to another etc. Consistency yields accuracy. YMMV :cool:

In the last year, I've seen Goex go from $15.80 to $19.70 a pound, by this time next year I suspect it will be closer to $25 a pound, and the others even higher yet. Paying what I did for Elephant, I thought I died and went to heaven with those 2001 prices. It's all being shot in my Lyman Great Plains 54 cal caplock about once a month at our club shooting and the up and coming rendezvous. I should be well supplied for some time to come, and recoup my money I paid for the powder selling the empty 1 pound metal cans.

Got the same deal last fall. A ;local gun dealer called and said he had just taken in on consignment A bunch of auction stuff from Colo. I bought it all ! Among the items were 23# of Elephant brand 2F @ $11.00 per pound. Gave one away to a friend, kept 4# and sold the rest for $15.50 a pound. That guy said he would sell some of it back to me for the same money. After reading your story and the high prices quoted I may do just that...Mossie

How dirty is that elephant powder? I always read bad things about it but you know how that goes at times.

I used Elephant years ago when it was all that was available and had no problems with it that I didn't have from using Goex. I'll always go for the cheapest price on powder. I'd rather shoot mediocre powder than not shoot at all. I found Elephant to be no dirtier than Goex; though I do understand there was a period where production was sub-par.

I used Goex for many years never tried Elephant . Couple of years ago I tried the powder Graf is selling under there name. I cant tell if theres any difference but its cheaper .It shoots better then my old eyes can see to aim so Im good with that.

I was able to finally get out and shoot using only the Elephant FFFg, and got to say I love this stuff, and couldn't tell the difference between Goex FFFg and the Elephant FFFg... it will be a long while before I need more :dancing chicken:

Yes, I also burned lots of Elephant BP and was quite satisfied with it; especially the price.

Back