Another Balistol question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delight523

Reaction score
Does Balistol provide a degree of rust protection, or not?
The reason I ask is I've been cleaning my Kibler Colonial Rifle with moose milk, followed by a light coat of uncut Balistol on all metal surfaces before putting it up. This last time it was stored in its case (climate controlled area) for nine months. When I finally got around to taking it to the range last week, it came out of its case looking exactly as it did when I put it up. The bore was shiny, and there was no rust or discoloration anywhere. Better yet, it shot lights out.
Now, the Balistol label says it is a rust inhibitor, but folks here say it's not. All I know is it protected my rifle for nine months. Maybe being cased had something to do with it not evaporating and allowing oxidation. I don’t know.
What's been y'all's experience with Balistol and rust?

I switched over to Ballistol for all of my guns about 5 years ago or so. No rust on any of them.

Last edited:
I started using Baristol to clean my muzzleloaders and although the product is supposed to be a rust inhibitor I am skeptical. Now I don't use it straight but mix it 1:15 with water. Even though I run a dry patch thru the bore when finished I still wipe the bore with an oil patch like Knight or Hoppes Gun Oil just to be sure. Then a dry patch followed by a patch of Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner. I also stand the rifle up muzzle down on a cloth for a day or two to drain out any residual oil and to keep any from the breech area.
In fact, I do that with all my guns, even my CFs

I would bet that 90% of the "it rusted while stored" posts are due to not quite perfect cleaning or recontaminating after cleaning - finger prints, sticking it in a holster or case that it was in when dirty, wiping down with a dirty but oiled rag that has corrosive powder rresidue on it etc

Assuming things are redone occasionally then any oil that wont evaporate/dry/dissapate/etc will do

I wouldnt use anything with water in it or that will attract water. Also avoid silicon as it can case nice finishes on wood to bubble and fisheye

I would bet that 90% of the "it rusted while stored" posts are due to not quite perfect cleaning or recontaminating after cleaning - finger prints, sticking it in a holster or case that it was in when dirty, wiping down with a dirty but oiled rag that has corrosive powder rresidue on it etc

Assuming things are redone occasionally then any oil that wont evaporate/dry/dissapate/etc will do

I wouldnt use anything with water in it or that will attract water. Also avoid silicon as it can case nice finishes on wood to bubble and fisheye
I just happen to know a guy that learned that lesson about having a nylon holster & putting the dirty pistol in the holster, it contaminated the holster & caused rust even on a clean & oiled gun. I heard all about it.....can't remember his name???

I've used Ballistol in my muzzleloaders pretty much exclusively for a while. Never had any problems with rust. I love the stuff. I especially like the fact that I can use it on the wood too. Too many other cleaners/oils can damage wood, whereas Ballistol actually helps preserve and protect the wood

Back