Another convert to sabotless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sizing from .452 down to just under .451 using the Jeff Hankins adjustable sizing die for 45 caliber. In may case, I don't have far to go. It worked fine for me, and no spring back on the bullets. I haven't tried .458's yet, but if I do, it'll be the .458 X 260 Lehigh CF. Then you just size the "bands" on the bullet. I'm just waiting on the supply to get caught up.
The Barnes TEZ's in 250 grains that I'll be trying needed no sizing. They went down the muzzle with the same pressure as the other 2 bullets I sized.

Sorry Mallen, i was responding to MrHunterKen sizing down his 358's.
I heard pretty good things about those Lehigh 260 CF bullets. My fave copper is the 290 Barnes.

I knew that, I was replying in general. I've got 1, single, 290 gr. Barnes, I sized it too small and it just fell down the barrel. I'll probably get some more at a later date and try again. I'd like to be around 250 or 260 gr. with this barrel, but I'll see what it likes. I've got a Begara .50 Encore barrel that I'd like to shoot the heavier grain bullets with.

I knew that, I was replying in general. I've got 1, single, 290 gr. Barnes, I sized it too small and it just fell down the barrel. I'll probably get some more at a later date and try again. I'd like to be around 250 or 260 gr. with this barrel, but I'll see what it likes. I've got a Begara .50 Encore barrel that I'd like to shoot the heavier grain bullets with.
Have you ever knurled a bullet? Its harder on a copper bullet than a jacketed. But if you only need a .001 or .002 it might be do-able

I've been sizing 405 gr. jacketed .458 bullets down to .4515 for my .45's. I have a couple of Lee Sizers, and then an adjustable sizer for the last step. I was watching a video ( I think from Arrowhead) where he ran the bullet through 3 times to prevent springback. I haven't tried that.

Got back to the bench last night. Harvester PT Gold in 300 gr. had some springback. Resized them and knurled some, and left some un-knurled. I hope to get to the range this weekend, if the weatherman is right. Also knurled some of the 250 gr. Barnes. I'm only taking 6 of each just to get a feel for how they paper.

Them Berry Blue Diamond bullets are sure easy to size, and don't spring back over night. Nice bullet. Don't particularly like they come with sabot, but not a big deal.

Fury bullets don't come with sabot; tad more appealing. They are easy to size, and don't spring back.

How did you size a copper jacket bullet?? I've been trying to size some 358 bullets to 348 in 2 steps. From 358 to 353 then to 348 even though I lube bullets with sizing die wax, it just seems impossible.
Why don't you just buy what you need from Hawk Bullets, and sell those .358's to someone who needs them.

1st I've heard of Hawk Bullets, I may have to check them out.

Years ago Hawks got lots of bad reviews for quality control of their spire points. The JHPs i got looked ok. The ones i got were not like a typical cup and core. The were a "tube" swagged around a lead core. So the bottom looked like a Barnes Original.

Latest posts

Back