another fine group from BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g.g.

Reaction score
friend wanted to shoot his ML yesterday and another wanted to shoot his rifle, so I shot 4 from the encore as well.

I cant say enough things about how well I am shooting now with the Blackhorn 209. This is better groups that I have ever gotten out of a rifle.

the circled group was the first 3 shoots from a 2 primer fouled barrel. the last shot to the left I felt like I pulled. the 2 bottom shots were from May's 06.

thanks again for all the help associated with this powder

MLgroup.jpg

Nice shooting? Love the BH209......except when it comes time to clean the primer :evil:

WOW!! that is some good shooting.. there is nothing could get by that kind of rifle and shooting.

thanks guys. yeah that primer blowback is nasty...but worth it:)

g.g. said:

What do you mean by primer blowback? I am new to muzzle loading and I think I will try BH 209 soon so I am curious about it's quirks. Thanks!

Crashman said:
g.g. said:

What do you mean by primer blowback? I am new to muzzle loading and I think I will try BH 209 soon so I am curious about it's quirks. Thanks!

I may be using the wrong terminology, but when I fire off a round with BH209 and winchester primers the breech end of the gun, inside around the exposed portion of the breech) is noticeably dirtier than when I used 777 or pyrodex. same with more carbon build up inside the breech plug.

however the increase in accuracy and the easier cleaning and the no swabbing between shots greatly out weighs that small negative

That is some great shooting. Ive noticed alot tighter groups dropping down from 120g bh209. Im shooting 95g myself. Ive shot 30 plus shots at the range with the endeavor with very little noticable blowback around the primer hole or firing pin area?

revpilot said:
That is some great shooting. Ive noticed alot tighter groups dropping down from 120g bh209. Im shooting 95g myself. Ive shot 30 plus shots at the range with the endeavor with very little noticable blowback around the primer hole or firing pin area?

maybe just something quirky on my gun. every time I fire I have a good deal of residue around the breech and a little on the outside around the breech end of the barrel. wipes off almost like its soot from a chimney

Back