Another ML accident

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know the pressure standard to which factory 50 caliber muzzleloaders are tested?

There is ZERO federal regulations on proofing MLs or load data. Imported or domestic. SAAMI has nothing to do with ML data at all. The EU has CIP but that only applies to MLs sold to those countries. Not sold to anywhere outside them. Lyman has some Black Powder manuals with some reference data including subs. You could check with Lyman Ballistic Labs maybe.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/publications/lyman-black-powder-handbook-2nd-edition
In Europe under CIP regulations i dont think these 3 pellet loads would float too well. Italy maybe not even at all because they are even more strict about proofing. Any load in a manual would have to pass their proof house tests.

Last edited:
There is ZERO federal regulations on proofing MLs or load data. Imported or domestic. SAAMI has nothing to do with ML data at all. The EU has CIP but that only applies to MLs sold to those countries. Not sold to anywhere outside them. Lyman has some Black Powder manuals with some reference data including subs. You could check with Lyman Ballistic Labs maybe.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/publications/lyman-black-powder-handbook-2nd-edition
In Europe under CIP regulations i dont think these 3 pellet loads would float too well. Italy maybe not even at all because they are even more strict about proofing. Any load in a manual would have to pass their proof house tests.

Thanks for the information.

I ordered the Lyman manual.

Maybe I can contact Lyman Ballistics Labs this week.

Do you know of a pressure rating on the Savage muzzleloaders? I have two of those barrels.

Liability (safe product) in the USA is the responsibility of the maker.. That’s why they have their load information listed in their manual.

I got the following response from Lyman this morning.

……………………………………………….

Technical Inquiries
I am a gunsmith in North Carolina who does quite a bit of work on muzzleloaders.

Can you tell me the maximum pressure rating on the barrels of most of your 50 caliber inline muzzleloaders?

Joe Teeter
Reference300022831
Form urlCustomer Service

…………………………………………………………………………………

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your patience. The maximum pressure would be 25,000 PSI.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

Lyman Products / Raytech Industries

475 Smith Street, Middletown, CT 06457

Phone: 800-225-9626

Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
how many remember the myth busters show?

on one show they tried to blow up or rupture a barrel and never did. well that is with mud and wood driven into the barrel. if i remember [ and i may not] they welded a plug in a shot gun barrel to rupture it.
my neighbor had a squib load when shooting trap. he heard the BBs hitting the ground about 12 feet out so he pumped a second shell in thinking everything had cleared the barrel. the second shot peeled back the barrel 6 inches or so from just the wad still in the barrel.

he cut off the banana peel and it made a sweet rabbit gun in the brush.

If you guys like seeing barrels explode and fun stuff like that check out demolition ranch on YouTube.

If you guys like seeing barrels explode and fun stuff like that check out demolition ranch on YouTube.
Not certain anyone enjoys per se' a barrel blowing up but the value of seeing it happen and knowing why is priceless in keeping safe.

I banana peeled a 20 gauge shotgun barrel when I was about 12 years old. I had my Dad's favorite Remington Model 11 shotgun, a couple of young bird dogs and was quail hunting. It had snowed about 4 inches that night and I was hunting alone. I tripped and fell, filling the barrel with snow, maybe some mud, too. As I got up one of the dogs flushed a covey of quail and I jumped up and shot. That 20 gauge kicked like a mule, sounded really loud and when I looked at the barrel, about 6 inches if it had peeled back in 4 curls. I'm 66 now, but I can still see it. It was a very long walk back to the house to show my Dad what I had done. He said he was just glad I was OK and sawed the barrel off below the split, luckily there was enough left to be legal, 22 inches I think. He told me, years later, that it was all he could do to keep from busting out laughing at me because of the look on my face when I handed him his gun.

I saved several rusty take off barrels from some of the Remington 700ML actions I have bought in the past.
I also have a bunch of the factory stocks.

When I get time I might bungee cord one to a bench, and fire them with a long string. I can put a block wall between me and the rifle, and run the string around the corner.

It would be interesting to see what they can handle.

In the early 1970's at a group discussion between Steel and Damascus barrels it was decided to rupture a Dam barrel as they were considered unsafe with modern nitro powders. After many tries the Proof Master rammed 2 solid 12bore lead balls together about 8" up a barrel of a C/F double gun, about were the hand would be. The load was Black at 3 times the Proof Load. After firing the DAM barrel had started to UNWIND and relieved the pressure mainly upwards away from the fore end. None of us have ever been frightened about DAM tubes since. With a Steel tube -- Rupture !! LOOK NO HAND.. Always Regret No photo's were taken.. GREENSWYLDE..

Back