Another Powder Shortage?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As any reloaders on here know we have had several powder shortages. Right now that has eased somewhat for most powders.

However I was at a gun show in Fairmont, WV Sat. There was more ammo there then I've seen in a very long time. At one table a guy had a ton of ammo available. One brand he had a lot of, was House of Payne ammo (HOP) located in central Oh.

Guy asked if there was any ammo I was looking for. Said no, I reload everything but .22. Then he asked if I had plenty of powder. I said yes, pretty much.

He then said the owner of HOP which he is friends with told him that in 3 months virtually all retail sale of powders will dry up. Said this info was from powder manufacturers.

I did hear Hogdon was going to have a 30% price increase early this year.

I've seen IMR4198 at over $70.00 just recently along with most of the IMR powders when the 4198 had been at $47. Hodgdon powders were up too, just not to that degree. Sure glad I bought some extra a while ago even though I didn't really need it. I have quite a bit of the cheaper than $80.00 BH and T7 too.

The 56 grain charge of 4198 seems to go a long way in a pound and I smile as I pull the trigger.

I've seen IMR4198 at over $70.00 just recently along with most of the IMR powders when the 4198 had been at $47. Hodgdon powders were up too, just not to that degree. Sure glad I bought some extra a while ago even though I didn't really need it. I have quite a bit of the cheaper than $80.00 BH and T7 too.

The 56 grain charge of 4198 seems to go a long way in a pound and I smile as I pull the trigger.
I have seen powder at a local shop that has a good selection. Most of his powders are $62. Reloader 7 was $72!
Might be why he has a good selection.

I went through my stash awhile back. I have lots of old Dupont and other powders in metal cans.
Saw a few cans with price tag on them.
Some as low as $9 !!!!!

I’ve been sitting on a boat load of powders I’ve had for a few years. Mostly things I won’t use anymore so I contacted a buddy and told him what I had and said 35.00 a pound. He took them all. Took that cash and stocked up on RL 7. And 17 those were under 36.00 each. Natchez recently had no hazmat N-120 was 44.79. It’s gonna get worse before better. I swear it’s getting to the point where you can’t enjoy anything. I reload all fall and winter just to shoot all summer.

Ive been watching ammo seek to lay in a supply. Been finding most of what I want and at some bargain prices. At least a bargain by today's prices. Been doing it for the reasons stated. Its not going to get much cheaper and its available right now.

There is inflation, and then there is price gouging. It's difficult for consumers to be able to know the difference. In the case of reloading supplies, think were prices were just three or four years ago. I think I was paying around $38 for 1000 primers and between $30-$35 for a pound of powder. Inflation is only part of the equation, then you have supply and demand, and then you have greed. Other than rimfire, the only thing I don't reload are shot shells (only use for turkeys and doves), but if I didn't enjoy reloading so much I would start looking at the prices of ammo these days to see if I am even saving money anymore by reloading. I'll be honest, the prices of supplies have affected the amount of shooting I do, and which firearms I shoot. My smokeless muzzleloader will not see as much use once I get it dialed in with a couple new bullets I am experimenting with. I am down to my last 700 or so Large Rifle Magnum primers as well. As a sidenote, beware of some of the businesses listed on Ammoseek. I use the search engine, but got burned once buying some shotshells from Bebee Family Arms- never received my $250 case of shot shells. Always read the "about" info, and make sure a phone number is plainly listed on the website. I fought tooth and nail trying to get my order, but they simply stopped responding to emails and phone calls (had to do a major search to find a phone number for the business). Anyway, good luck to all of you in your search for supplies and be vigilant when you find something available from an unknown source.

All of this the Companies on down is greed of the $. The way i shoot & hunt, once i get my next load of powder about $500. I won't buy another Lb. of any the rest of my life. I will probably drive to Mexico, Mo. & buy in person. Haz. n shipping will be about the same for me as 2 tanks of gas

This is exactly why I switched to pyrodex, no shortage, price gouging and a 40 minute drive I get it got and I am shooting in under an hour. GOEX, SWISS, SCHUTZEN ok may or may not be on shelf, blackhorn 209 $100 for an incredible 8 ounces, by the way does not work in percussion or flintlock, NO THANKS I`ll pass here is 3 Flavors Pyrodex P-RS and Select the P-RS run $27 a POUND select runs about $39 a POUND but if I get 2 pounds P I can use it in rifles as well as my pistols and revolvers...BUT NOBODY LIKES PYRODEX but hey happy powder shortage and price gouging as I am shooting

All of this the Companies on down is greed of the $. The way i shoot & hunt, once i get my next load of powder about $500. I won't buy another Lb. of any the rest of my life. I will probably drive to Mexico, Mo. & buy in person. Haz. n shipping will be about the same for me as 2 tanks of gas
That's what it's all about the green piece of paper , what isn't Today ?

This is exactly why I switched to pyrodex, no shortage, price gouging and a 40 minute drive I get it got and I am shooting in under an hour. GOEX, SWISS, SCHUTZEN ok may or may not be on shelf, blackhorn 209 $100 for an incredible 8 ounces, by the way does not work in percussion or flintlock, NO THANKS I`ll pass here is 3 Flavors Pyrodex P-RS and Select the P-RS run $27 a POUND select runs about $39 a POUND but if I get 2 pounds P I can use it in rifles as well as my pistols and revolvers...BUT NOBODY LIKES PYRODEX but hey happy powder shortage and price gouging as I am shooting
I like pyrodex p & Triple 7 , Don't care about swapping & cleaning . Got to clean your Muzzy anyway if you want to keep it in good condition & shooting good ! You have to do what works for you . That's the way I feel about It .

Back