Another round @ the Dinger Farm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Got my house work done this morning and while Terry was doing her volunteer work at the food bank I headed to the farm.

Cleaned the gun Wednesday after the first round @ Dinger's. I used Hoppes to clean the bore and then as the very last step applied the Montana X-Treme bore conditioner...

On a whim, I swapped out scopes on the Disc - took the Bushnell Elite off and installed the new Loppy Ultimate Slam that I had for 3 months with no place to put it. I wanted to try it out. Laser bore sighted it at home Thursday evening. I set the laser to match the same spot on the wall as the 3200 was hitting - figured this would get me close.

Step up the bench @ the farm - ran one dry patch through the bore(both sides). Shot one primer - dry patched again with the first patch....

Here is a picture of the range - if you look very carefully out there @ 94 yards you will see a very small target board (left of the patch of snow and low. This field was dry peas last year thing it might be spring wheat this year.

TheFarm.jpg

Shot the 3 shots @ the 25 yard target and there was not much reason to adjust scope so I changed the target and moved it to 100 yards. Shot 2 shots @ target POI was 4 o'clock low. Adjusted the scope and shot for effect... It was good! - shot 7 more times...

The reticule in the Ultimate Slam is far more busy than the standard ballistic reticule I am use to in the Bushnell. But once I go use to it it actually helped in target alignment when shooting this paper target. So at this time I'll say "I am impressed and I think I like it..." But i think I am more impressed how well that Disc shoots and these Sierras were new to me also. Normally I shoot Hornady's at paper but I like these better. They are a little more expensive than Hornady and a little less than Speer .458's and a heck of lot less expensive than Noslers.

1-16KDEMHC-2.jpg

Now the last part of the test... At now time today did I use a damp windex patch to patch the barrel with while shooting. I used one dry patch ( the same one I started the day with) to patch after ever 4 shots. The dry patch never really even felt like it might get stuck. I ran it to the bottom of the barrel and back out. Just not that much fouling. At the end of the day when i packing to leave I ran 3 windex patches. The first patch on the right was #1 - it came out fairly dirty (ran it both sides). The one in the middle was patch #2 and and the one on the left was the last patch which came out fairly clean. Ran a dry patch pcked up and came home to begin the cleaning job. The one patch you see by itself was the single dry patch that I used for the trip.

PatchesUsed.jpg

Nice shooting Sabot... those Knight Disc's are just darn hard to beat! :wink:

Excellent shooting and good report, I just might have to get some of that bore conditioner

dphobby

I am not totally sold yet on the conditioner - I am going to try with one of the Renegades next just to see what happens. Cayugad has some also and is going to try an experiment for me that will help in the collection of information.

Nice shooting Sabotloader. I was looking at that XBC on their website. Do you think there will be any advantage treating your gun if your strictly shooting BH209?? Ive shot over 30 shots without having to swab, and it didnt affect loading or accuracy, and it doesnt seem likes it takes alot of patches to clean.

Nice shooting my friend
Thats a great load,those prohunters 300grn shoot good.

Thanks for the great report. That loose 777 shoots pretty good! You gotta love a Knight.

Nice shooting and very informative. Are you going to hunt with the 300 Sierras?

old/new

Are you going to hunt with the 300 Sierras

At this point probbly not - I normally use .458/300 grain Noslers for hunting elk and .451/260 gr. Noslers for deer.

If for some reason I decide I can not afford the Noslers any longer (near $1 per bullet and going up) then I would move to a .458/300 grain Speer UniCor (Bonded) or .452/300 gr. Speer Gold Dot for elk and back to a .452/250 gr Gold Dot for deer.

Latest posts

Back