Answers (kinda / sorta) for Chuck Hill

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'll address your prior comments as best as I am able.

Back to my point.. Is there any deer that you've ever shot with a 10ML-II where an approved powder would not have done just as well? ANY?

Deer no, pronghorn yes. That's just in my case, others have their own take.

Personally, and I'm cutting to the chase...I think those that are using unapproved powders/duplex loads/etc like to make themselves feel like they are muzzleloading "pioneers", the "Wright Bros" of muzzleloading,
"going where others have not", etc. Am I wrong?

No, I don't believe you are. As you have commented elsewhere, and as mentioned on the "It Should Be Obvious" thread below-- very little revelations have been found in the last several years. It is incremental, subtle, but the gains in real world performance have been breathtakingly small.

The Wester Powders Savage literature still hasn't been released yet. That is somewhere close to being a year overdue. Nor has 2015 been approved yet. That's OVER a year out! Just wondering why? Probably because it's hard to beat the overall performance and reliability of good 'ol boring N-110 and 5744.

There never was a "due date" from Western Powders, and there still is not. Not only have they been buried with the normal QC work, they are also building a completely new laboratory. Their endeavor is elective, not contractual. NATO has been a far higher priority for them, and rightly so. Their President sets the priorities, and the 10ML-II is on the table . . . but is not a priority. I'm not sure what people really expect, but there will be no shocking revelations-- and there is no rush to present much of anything.

Western Powders won't be "directly" releasing anything-- it will be presented to Savage for approval before anything else.

On the topic of "approved" loads, that is more nebulous than it might appear. There never has been a Savage recommended load with a bullet weight below 250 grains, nor has there ever been a Savage recommended load with a bullet weight above 300 grains.

There never has been a Savage recommended sabot other than the short, black MMP sabot-- part number given right in the owner's manual.

There is a world of difference between a "suggested or recommended load" and a "prohibited" load. The prohibited items with smokeless are spelled out-- mixing powders or duplex loads, sub-bases or anything between the sabot and powder, and saboted bullets only. It is all on p.13 of the owner's manual.

Yet, as clear as that is apparently did not dissuade Layne Simpson from using both sub-bases and Powerbelts; both publishing and thereby promoting their use in the latest "Shooting Times". He's not alone-- so it goes.

As it is, 4227, Reloder 7, 2400, 5744, N110, and SR4759 have all been found to be compatible propellants and suggested loads. On top of that, you have Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex Select, Triple 7, blackpowder, and pellets to boot. No muzzleloader offered today has more suggested loads.

From the inception, the loads that Savage has used have been relatively mild, erring on the side of caution and safety as Henry Ball, Bill Ball, Ron Coburn, and Savage Arms have spoken with one voice for the last six years on the matter. The only person not inclined to err on the side of caution and safety with the 10ML project has been inclined to seek employment elsewhere for that reason, among others.

Some sixteen years, if you care to go back where development started.

Right now, the 10ML-II is mature product. There is no compelling reason to offer a wider array of propellants.

Ball / spherical powders are prohibited, flake powders are prohibited, and Hodgdon "Lil" Gun is prohibited.

Bullet weights over 300 grains are NOT recommended.

Safety first, of course. The 129,000 PSI integrity testing was not conducted without purpose. Reliability of course is a consideration-- 4227 was problematic with poorly maintained guns and loose sabots, hence SR4759.

There are many, many workable powders in the 10ML-II -- far more than in a 28 ga. shotgun limited to 12,000 PSI MAP loads.

The basis for the current array of powder choices in addition to the above is availability-- three manufacturers to choose from, four counting Alliant.

Multiple choices from the same powder manufacturer would not be a high priority, as "most shooters" (at least Harvey Most, a friend of mine) neither desire nor need more than one deer load.

"Personally, and I'm cutting to the chase...I think those that are using unapproved powders/duplex loads/etc like to make themselves feel like they are muzzleloading "pioneers", the "Wright Bros" of muzzleloading,
"going where others have not", etc. Am I wrong?"

I have to disagree with this statement. I certainly don't feel like nor do I have a drive to feel like I am some sort of pioneer. I also feel a statement such as this purporting to drive to the core influence in a persons actions is not only patently unfair, but also assumes a great knowledge of the motivation of a particular person when there can be many things that motivate a person, and there is no way I can see that someone can make such a statement about a person when they truly don't know a person.
Some maybe motivated so, but I can honestly say I am not. Let me try to give some insight to my motivation. First I really dont care for muzzleloaders in general. One shot,reloading, range limitations, and little quirks particular to muzzleloaders are some of the reasons. What I do like is capability. As Rw's post makes clear,there are several choices for the Savage, but they are not complete. The Savage is a system. It has it's limitations.A little common sense will allow safe load development for those so inclined. Is there risk involved? Of course. Just as there is risk in most everything we do. I cannot use a centerfire rifle in Indiana, the Savage is the next best thing. I had a goal. That was to find the safest, most accurate load, with the most distance capability I could find. I believe at this time it is a Barnes 300 gr original with 60 grs N120. I did not discover this load. RW did. I have no doubts as to its safety, accuracy, or capabilitys. Have I made mistakes along the way? Yes! Is there something better out there? Quite possibly, but I am not aware of it at this time. Will I try it if it becomes available. Probably if I think it it safe to do so. My motivation is and has been simply to reach a goal. Nothing more or less. Am I willing to share what I know with others? Of course. So does that make me some egomaniac looking for accolades of the most fleeting kind on some relatively unknown internet board? Hardly.
Please don't insult even my average intelligience, as their are far more well known arenas of endeavor that I could pursue if what I was seeking was the praise of men. I hope this clears the air somewhat and those who have an interest can take my statements at face value. I don't think it is unfair for those that know me even limited by the constraints of our particular forum of communication to be aware that I have and I do try to the best of my limited ability as mortal man to conduct myself and my affairs with honesty and integrity.

I'll address your prior comments as best as I am able.

Quote:
Back to my point.. Is there any deer that you've ever shot with a 10ML-II where an approved powder would not have done just as well? ANY?

Deer no, pronghorn yes. That's just in my case, others have their own take.

That question was really to Dwight but I thank you for your response, Randy. I question even the pronghorn. If your first shot taken at closer range would have dropped the pronghorn in a timely manner, you wouldn't have needed the follow up at a much longer range.

Thank you Dwight for your response.

I was referring to the first shot . . . and the finale, whether you speculate it was a need, or not.

"Need" has nothing to do with any of this. :roll:

3" high @ 100 yards w/ 45 gr. 5744 / .452 XTP = about 11" drop @ 200 yards.

Same with 57 gr. N120 Barnes Original - - - about 1.7" drop @ 200 yards. I know of no one that would not prefer that, whether a "need" is designated or not. It is about personal preferences, just like all handloading. Not about a right or wrong, about preferences.

The more choices the better, and that's all they are-- a distinctly personal matter. It is far better to have diversity, more choices, and different approaches than atrophied parroting of same old, same old.

Muzzleloading is hardly unique in transient debates, vitriolic cartridge discussions run the same gamut, and always have. People seem more comfortable with those that are mental clones of themselves. Soon, there is no longer an exchange of ideas-- more often an exchange of similar rhetoric. One might think that with some 9,000,000 deer killed every year in North America, if there was a "correct" way even the less fleet of thought among us would have an idea what that is. It is hardly unique, and there is no "correct way." Down is not necessary dead, just down, and to think more than that requires a great deal of denial.

Like all shooting sports, choices are there for those to pick what suits the individual. There are more and better choices right now than ever before, and there will be more in the future. I'm quite glad for that; there is no reason not to be.

3" high @ 100 yards w/ 45 gr. 5744 / .452 XTP = about 11" drop @ 200 yards.

Same with 57 gr. N120 Barnes Original - - - about 1.7" drop @ 200 yards.

Yeah...those are two choices that are out there I guess. My load using a Savage approved power, VV N-110, 42.0gr and a 250gr SST yields very similar ballistics to your Barnes Original-----Just over 2 inches low at 200yds when sighted in 3.0 inches high at 100yds. And there's really no need to handicap the 250gr XTP. Swapping to the same 42.0gr VV-N110 instead of the 5744 load you listed yields a load that is only 3.5 inches low at 200yds, same parameters.

Latest posts

Back