anti seize for vent liner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using a very small amount of Tetra Gun grease on the threads of the vent liner and/or nipple for about 15 years now - stuff works great.

Tetra-Gun-Grease.jpg

Now I may switch to what is recommended but at this time I do not think anything definite has been found to be the cause of the blob in his barrel. I would like to know what it actually turns out to be but we will have to wait longer for the original poster to try to determine that. Hopefully can get a certain cause.

Now I may switch to what is recommended but at this time I do not think anything definite has been found to be the cause of the blob in his barrel. I would like to know what it actually turns out to be but we will have to wait longer for the original poster to try to determine that. Hopefully can get a certain cause.
I disagree . For the sum of ALL products / bullets used in that barrel the ONLY thing it CAN point to is the mis-- application of use of tbe anti--seize in question . Tbe Loctite company states that , quite clearly , the anti--seize SHOULD NOT be used in the presence of an oxidizer . They didnt mince words . They also didnt mince words that it has no business around a bearing situation like bullet to bore for example and in factual practice . Aluminum when it reachs this level of tempature exposure readily behaves in this manner and in the conditions present in that barrel Loctite advised against . That said im sure if/when he removes some he'd be happy to have you pay for metalurgical analysis so you can be further "convinced" .
This Should remove all skepticism or flat out unbelief .

If it is an aluminum deposit, it can't be too well bonded to the barrel. I bet it knocks loose with out a huge amount of effort. Several companies make a HD anti-seize with no metal in it and a synthetic carrier said to withstand temps to 2600°f. That's non petroleum based. The anti-seize's with alum are the lowest temp rated types with petroleum based carriers, where the nickel and HD non-metal are highest. Copper is somewhere in the middle. Copper can react with other metals in certain conditions. Aluminum has a low relative melt temp. that combined with petroleum based carrier makes for wonderous possibilities when you add fire and copper and possibly lead.

If it is an aluminum deposit, it can't be too well bonded to the barrel. I bet it knocks loose with out a huge amount of effort. Several companies make a HD anti-seize with no metal in it and a synthetic carrier said to withstand temps to 2600°f. That's non petroleum based. The anti-seize's with alum are the lowest temp rated types with petroleum based carriers, where the nickel and HD non-metal are highest. Copper is somewhere in the middle. Copper can react with other metals in certain conditions. Aluminum has a low relative melt temp. that combined with petroleum based carrier makes for wonderous possibilities when you add fire and copper and possibly lead.
I forgot the graphite too muzzy . Under heat and pressure it skids to a halt and BONDS , especially in localized spots . Stainless 416 is kinda soft and gummy . To me its just not a good idea at all . The oxidizers in the powder changed the whole show by reacting with the naptha based lube it contains ..Naptha is a detonate by the way and a hot one .Youre right , there was quite the jungle juice mix going on in there. !!!!! This analisys IS chemically correct unfortunately . Not worth the risk especially when it wont seal either .

Last edited:
Now I'm curious. I've used regular synthetic grease and some branded grease ( Traditions, I believe ) for the past 15 years. I tape and grease the plug threads and just grease the vent liner.

Is this a problem?

Now I'm curious. I've used regular synthetic grease and some branded grease ( Traditions, I believe ) for the past 15 years. I tape and grease the plug threads and just grease the vent liner.

Is this a problem?
Not really but the permatex thread sealant will do it in just one step for both plug and vent . Does it better too . Ive tried them all . Nothing beats the permatex thread sealant with ptfe(teflon) , nothing .

this thread is a few years old but i thought i'd piggy back my questions on it .
for my use it would be used on a CVA MRX and i'll be using 777 fffg powder . but comments concerning fit and use for other brands/models are appreciated .

soooooooo .... typical breech plug grease/stick or teflon tape with a drop of oil will cause problems with a vent liner ?

can a nitrided BP be converted or is it too hard ?

is the SKS as good as any other ? if not is it very close in quality or is there something significantly better available other than titanium ?
https://www.sskfirearms.com/breech-...newer-accura-optima-and-wolf-breech-plug.htmldidn't see their replacement liners :(

do all replacement liners have the same thread count/diameter or can different VLs be used with different modified breech plugs ?

thanks , jeff

Last edited:
this thread is a few years old but i thought i'd piggy back my questions on it .
for my use it would be used on a CVA MRX and i'll be using 777 fffg powder . but comments concerning fit and use for other brands/models are appreciated .

soooooooo .... typical breech plug grease/stick or teflon tape with a drop of oil will cause problems with a vent liner ?

can a nitrided BP be converted or is it too hard ?

is the SKS as good as any other ? if not is it very close in quality or is there something significantly better available other than titanium ?
https://www.sskfirearms.com/breech-...newer-accura-optima-and-wolf-breech-plug.htmldidn't see their replacement liners :(

do all replacement liners have the same thread count/diameter or can different VLs be used with different modified breech plugs ?

thanks , jeff
All the same vents.
https://www.sskfirearms.com/vent-liner.html
Shipping is about $8 for a plug, 4 vents or a plug with 4 extra vents. So might as well get them with the plug.

Latest posts

Back