Any good ideas for bullet storage/boxes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDK

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Just as a preface so you all know what I am looking for, and yes, I’m a bit OCD with firearms maintenance and organization. Generally, I think that’s not a bad thing.

I understand use of speed loaders, and will use them for hunting. I plan on working with loose powder, so I don’t want to store bulk bullets this way. I did a search, but most of what I could find was along the lines of storage of spare rounds while actually out in the field.

I have experience with traditional muzzleloaders. The lead balls and conicals usually come in a nice storage box that I can keep them in. It’s the new bullets for inline muzzleloaders I am looking at.

I am putting a dedicated storage/range box together and absolutely “hate” the crappy clamshell packaging the bullets come in. Takes up too much room, and I can see that I am going to have loose bullets all over the place as soon as I open the packs.

Does anyone have a neat, organized storage solution for these? I was thinking about using the plastic bullet organizer boxes for reloading. I don’t have a local place to go physically look at them, so I am not sure what size boxes would work best. It would be for modern 250 and 300 grain bullets in 50 caliber.

Any other good suggestions? Should I just go browse the dollar store or Walmart or something?

I have all kinds of issues but not OCD. I too can’t stand the powerbelt packaging. My Hornady SST’s come in a plastic box and will reuse the one empty one I’ve kept. Otherwise, I will used small Tupperware container. I use Tupperware to separate out my cleaned rifle and pistol brass that I load for.

I reload for center fire rifles as well and just repurpose bullet boxes from that hobby.

A friend of mine used the Hornady ML SST box for his .50 cal Thor bullets. He looked all over for the MTM bullet boxes which is what I use for my .45 but could not find one to fit the .50. He cut a piece of wood to fit inside the box and then used a 17/32 drill bit for the bullet holes. He has also used a piece of foam and then slowly drilled that all the way through. He then added another thin piece of foam under the drilled wood and the foam. Works pretty good. The weak link in his design is the SST box. I would start with a better plastic box. He likes the foam version better but you have to use the right foam which is I think closed cell foam. You want to end up with the bullet just barely touching the lid when it's all done to keep your bullets from moving too much.

I keep my bullets, misc. shooting accessories in /2 plastic tubes with slip on plastic caps cut to length. This way all of my equipment is stored neatly in my possible pouch and I can see at a glance what I have on hand. Thin Wall Round Tubes

Thanks so much Ed! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. My OCD sends its regards :)
LOL...reminds me of my wife. She too has OCD. She is obsessed with having stuff in the center, like a vase on the table or a picture on the wall. I always mess with her and move the centerpiece a couple inches off center. I do this a couple times a week just to aggravate her! Now the funny thing is my grandsons are doing it to her too.

Trying to sort balls and bullets with a micrometer is really boring. I congratulate those who are organizers. Labelling seems to be common among them and is likely really helpful as well. One box I'd been moving around in the attic every November marked "Christmas Lights" turned out to be several thousand shotgun wads, an unopened keg of 2400, and a brick of shotshell primers. Pearl of wisdom - pack your own stuff.

Latest posts

Back