Anybody ever had a 1/4"/click scope move POI 1/2"/

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patrick White said:
That's dissapointing. I have one that is 1/4 MOA clicks and it happens to be my best scope. This is the first time I've ever heard of this with Burris scopes. If it were me I'd send it back and have them make it right.

That's EXACTLY what I'd do. I never got around to sending mine back because they did "work." It's hard for me to send scopes back because I'm all excited about trying them and all and I usually go ahead and mount them unless they REALLY have a problem. Now if it comes time to sell my scopes I'll probably have to take a little $$ hit on them because they are really not "right."

jcchartboy said:
I'm sure you can still send them Chuck...right?

Well that's TRUE BUT...they are sighted in... But good point...I COULD send them back at anytime. I guess I point was that it would be better to send them back ASAP BEFORE sighting them in...unless a hunt was fast approaching..

big6x6 said:
jcchartboy said:

Well that's TRUE BUT...they are sighted in... But good point...I COULD send them back at anytime. I guess I point was that it would be better to send them back ASAP BEFORE sighting them in...unless a hunt was fast approaching..

Ahh...I thought you had already taken them off the gun...

Mountain Man said:
I still trust the scope. I am debating whether to send it in to the factory or not. Honestly, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of taking it off, sending it in, waiting without the scope, remounting, and resighting it in AND then having a period of uncertainty about the new/remanufactured scope until I've put enough rounds through it to gain trust that that particular one is good and solid. I don't do enough long-range shooting that I would adjust elevation or windage for a long shot.

I agree with you, keep and use the scope on the gun if you can trust it. If you are not having problem with POI change, then the scope can be trusted for this duty. If you do decide to resell, just send it in for the Lifetime Warranty after it is off the gun.

Mountain Man said:
Man, I inadvertently start two firestorms in one day--don't anybody step too close, you might get struck by lightning! :lol:

I wasn't trying to be coy or obscure--just trying to ask about the problem, not point fingers ast any particular manufacturer.

It's a Burris FullField II 3-9x40.

Has this been a scope of these problems? I must admit I have never owned one these scopes, but I do own a Burris Signature Select 4-16X44mm which has not given me any problems. Not my favorite scope, but very good durable scope. I realize this is in a different level price range, but is this a common problem in the Burris line of scopes?

Sounds like it might be isolated.

Glad to know the brand, I'll never buy a Burris Fullfield, what a piece of junk. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kiddin. :lol: :lol: :wink:
seriously, it is good to know the brand. If others have the same problem with the same scope Burris needs to know. I have never owned a Burris but from others comments it does seem to be a reputable scope and a quality product for the price. I love my Ford truck but I'll be the first to admit that lemons do come out of that Louisville plant from time to time.

jcchartboy said:
Actually the reason I knew which scope it was is very simple...I have only ever heard him discuss one scope in this forum...a Burris FullField II 3-9x40. :mrgreen:

:lol: That's why I didn't think it was a big deal whether I said the name or not--I figured I had mentioned it enough when people asked about the brand that most who cared would know what I was using. :wink:

big6x6 said:
jcchartboy said:

How do you check what fraction of MOA the clicks are until you start sighting it in?

How do you check what fraction of MOA the clicks are until you start sighting it in?

:lol:

:oops: Of course you DON'T know! I guess my point is that the rifle is REALLY sighted in and not in the process of BEING sighted in! :lol: In other words I don't want to have to DO it again! 8)

Oh. I was hoping you had some ingenious trick for checking while you stood in the isle of your favorite sporting goods store. :cry: :lol:

Have you guys checked the clicks on your high dollar scopes to see how much movement is yielded by some given number of clicks? Try 12.

I've seen darn few scopes that TRULY move the impact by exactly 1/4" with each click. Butt den ah iz a poor boy.

Well poor boy, :lol:
I have to agree with you . How can they with all the different calibers/speed etc. How can a scope move a 1/4" point of impact regardless of gun? I know my Leopold don't.
Ken

Redclub said:
Well poor boy, :lol:
I have to agree with you . How can they with all the different calibers/speed etc. How can a scope move a 1/4" point of impact regardless of gun? I know my Leopold don't.
Ken

Sorry I don't see what the caliber/speed has to do with a optical movement. A scope is suppose to move 1/4" per click at 100 yards or whatever the distance per click it actually performs at. Those distances per click will be the same regardless of the caliber or speed. :huh?:

I agree POI will change with caliber and speed, but not the optical movements of the scope.

If I may.....Red is "Call and responsing" UC's post about ultimate perfection of a "scope".

Obviously, not every scope measures 1/4 click on a micrometer... Just the same... If you change the line of sight, it will affect the POI on each and every caliber based on velocity, trajectory etc. (Albeit in an absolutely minimalistic way in many cases)

The reality is...this original discussion started about a scope that was calibrated to adjust in 1/4" increments, yet only adjusted in 1/2 measurements. To change those ratio's into fractions, for the simple point of discussion, is most likely better left off left for another thread.

Back