Anyone finish barrel steel with linseed oil ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
Building a double gun thinking about a finish where you heat the barrels to 400 degrees then apply linseed oil anyone try this before ?

Lol don't think it hurts the metal but not sure about the solder melting point that the barrels are held together with ?

Lol don't think it hurts the metal but not sure about the solder melting point that the barrels are held together with ?

That's the problem, soldered seams with heat, ask Ron Paul I'm sure he has experience with that Lou. Good luck, keep us imformed or your project.

time.moves.jpg

I've been wondering the same thing. I have 6 switch barrels for my 3 underhammers and they get semi-rough treatment during hunting season and vehicular carry. They're prone to rubbing or scratching off of the plum brown finish I use. I'm thinking experiment with a coat of tru-oil to "toughen" up the finish. Any thoughts or experience in the matter ?? Many thanx....Mossie.

I rust-blue and finish with boiled linseed. Looks great and tough. Only brown I have was done in 1984 with a product from the gun shop with bichloride of mercury made a beautiful coating, hunted and not a mark on it. Tough too. Have not tried laurel mountain yet, one in the queue. Cold bluing is cosmetic and offers little protection. Rust-blueing is what gun makers used until the 40's when hot bluing was faster than the 2-3 days. It protects well. Below reblued and my browned bichloride of mercury baby

Attachments

• 1597885989482.jpg
    1597885989482.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • image-20200821_213814.jpg
    image-20200821_213814.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
This very old .45 has been used a great deal over the decades and never pampered. I have had to touch up scratches, dings and bluing wear but never used anything other than silicon cloth or Type "F".

Jon has an old locker that we modified. Took out the top shelf, left the very bottom shelf and cut about a 6" hole in the center of the shelf. We installed hooks to the inside top of the locker. He fills a bowl with water in the hole in the shelf and also place a water soaked rag on the shelf. On the bottom under the shelf off to the side he places a heat lamp. This combo creates enough moisture/humidity to rust the barrels that he hangs in there to brown. Works very well.

As a matter of fact I had 4 raw steel shelf brackets in there to give them a rust patina....turned out perfectly.

Last edited:
Back