Anyone have/shoot a DPMS Panther Lite .223?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
I've finally talked my banker (wife) into letting me get another rifle and I'm leaning towards the DPMS Panther Lite .223 over the AK47 but was wondering if anybody on here has one or shot one. I've been wanting an assault type rifle for a while and I want one that I can set up, as the banker allows, to shoot coyotes and other varmints that are taking over the areas around here. I know that the .223 can be a very accurate round and really have no experience with the AK's 7.62X39 and don't think you can even get it in a varmint bullet and the DPMS is American made. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I have a few AR's & like them much better than the AK/SKS lineup. Personal preference and I believe a USA made AR is better quality & more accurate than most of the AK types. Scope mounting & trigger upgrades are easily done.

There could be a slightly used AR near you at substantial savings, if you look around some. Thefiringline,glocktalk.predatormasters & other high traffic sites will have some. You can also get ideas on gunbroker.

I don't know the 'Panther Lite' offhand but it sounds of the configuration & weight that would be suited for hunting. I'd keep the barrel 16-20 and of a lightweight to medium profile. My 16" Stag or Bushmaster is very handy to carry. I have a few longer/heavier uppers used mostly in dogtown.

The 1/9" rifling is the most common. Most people will shoot 50-55 & maybe 60 grain bullets, & for that it is fine. I'd only deviate from that if you have specific plans to go really heavy on the bullets.

Most ARs now come with no fixed iron sights & that's what I like. You can easily mount flip up front & rear sights if needed.

Thanks for the info muskrat. If I get one with the lite barrel can I change it to a heavier barrel later on? How hard is it to upgrade it when I can afford to put more in/on it? I shot the M16 back in the early '70s but don't remember a whole lot about it. Could the .223 be used on deer or is too small?

Yes, you can change out the uppers very easily, just the 2 pins pushed out with your fingers. The only exception to this is Colt, which uses different size pins, adapters are available though. You wouldn't need a whole lot of 'up-grading'. If you get a fairly handy gun in weight & length one size will fit most applications.

I think most would consider the 223 on the small side for deer, but it would work. I have shot deer in GA & most were not all that large. If you used the proper bullet, 60,62 grn soft point,partition or similar AND put it in the right spot, you'd be fine. A reasonable range would be helpful too.

My buddy shot a fair sized boar with one years back,223. One well placed shot did the job. There are plenty of frangible 'varmint' loads out there for the 223, which would be a very poor choice.

You can get ideas on gunbroker with prices if you want to look around some.

Muskrat I've been checking fairly often on both Auction Arms and Gun Broker. I've kind of figured out that I want something with a 20"-24" bull barrel. I don't really care for any of the extras as long as its the flat top model for a scope. I mainly want something for coyotes but would like to be able to use it next deer season. I understand about the shot placement/distance. Most of my deer hunting will be with my Accura but there is times that I need something a little more "modern". Thanks for the info and response.

Muskrat30 - what scopes do you have on your Bushmasters?

I have 2 heavier weight AR's that I've used mostly on trips to 'dogtown' in SD. For that I have higher power scopes, one a 5.5-20 Nikon Monarch & the other a 4.5-14 Leupold Vari-x-III. For my 16" M4 profile AR's I've used a fixed 4x Burris, & a 2-7 Burris, & iron sights.

I may of said before, but the 1st 'improvement' I would do to an AR is the trigger. The Timney 3 lb drop in is an easy solution.

Muskrat I ended up buying a DPMS w/20" SS bull barrel and you are right about the trigger being the first thing to take care of. I went to Bill Springfield of www.triggerwork.net and for $60 and your trigger assembly he will have it back in 3 days with a 2 1/2lb. "custom" trigger job. I have no doubt that the Timney trigger is a good setup but for the money try Bill. He has lower prices for different trigger pull weights and he also works on other triggers as well. It cut my groups from 3/4" down to a ragged hole at 100yrds.

That sounds great, yes I have heard good things about Bill Springfield & his trigger work. I have a mix on my ARs, Jewell,Timney,RRA, & the '15 min' home trigger job. All are improvement off stock, the Jewell & Timney being my favorites. $60 for a consistent 2.5 lb pull is a winner for sure.

Back