Anyone having this problem w/bare primer conversion/BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On my Knight Disc pistol and my new .52 Disc when I put BH209 in barrel it comes out the breech plug, not just a little but quiet a bit and then when I try to put primer in there's kernels of powder in there making it hard to close bolt, its a real pain in the posterior.
The conversion kits are from Mr. Truckley and when you look thru them the hole looks huge, today was the 1st time I had used them and as of right now cant say I'm too fond of them.

Hey Dean, how many shots did you fire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you take a pic of the breech plug on the barrel side and bolt side so we can see what you have. you may just need ventliner may have came without one. I think truckley sale the bare primer lehigh plug without vent.

The fire hole should be about .035" in diameter which is the size of a drill bit # 65. If your breech plug hole is larger than that something is wrong and I would strongly suggest that you do not shoot those firearms, period.

dbowling said:
On my Knight Disc pistol and my new .52 Disc when I put BH209 in barrel it comes out the breech plug, not just a little but quiet a bit and then when I try to put primer in there's kernels of powder in there making it hard to close bolt, its a real pain in the posterior.
The conversion kits are from Mr. Truckley and when you look thru them the hole looks huge, today was the 1st time I had used them and as of right now cant say I'm too fond of them.

Please make sure that you have vent liner install in the breech plug!

This pic shows the vent liners to the right to the BP

IMG_0436.jpg

Dean,
Check your PM's.

As mentioned the Truckley plug (AKA old style Lehigh) never came with a Ventliner and do require one.

This is a Truckley/Lehigh conversion kit that does not have the ventliner in it.

k0BCjel.jpg

The last Lehigh ventliners I checked had a flashhole that measures .031.

The one from Knight though are braised in the plug. Removing them is difficult to say the least. Many of us have the original Lehigh plugs with removable vents. As far as i can find, BadgerRidge currently has the best price on Lehigh vent liners.

that's great I never even checked them for vent liners I just assumed they had them, just checked a no vent liners.. I shot 8 shots from the pistol and 10 shots from the rifle, that explains why some primers were getting stuck..I thought since it was a conversion kit they came w/vent liners, my fault for being a dumb@!! and not checking.
Guns stayed very clean for not having vent liners, glad didn't mess something or me up.

Just ordered a pk of 10 from Badger Ridge, thanks GM.

Using a Savage vent in a Knight breach plug and sold that way by Knight might not have gone over very well with Savage. Pretty good chance of a patent lawsuit unless they changed up the vent liner style a bit. SMI puts a type of vent in their plugs but its much different.

Knight bolt guns kept you from serious injury,(IMO). Hate to think what the outcome would have been using a plunger gun or open ignition. How accurate were they?

After zeroing Knight Disc pistol shot 3 shots into less then a inch at 54 yds and rifle shot 3 325 gr FTX and 2 275 gr Lehigh into same hole that made a ragged 1 in hole. Shooting BH in a plunger style gun is a no no anyway, but your right the bolt guns are built very well, there was almost zero blow back other then a little around rim of bolt even w/o vent liners.
Also out of 18-20 shots only maybe 6 primers actually got stuck, all others shook out of the bolt no problem.

herschel conyers said:
Knight bolt guns kept you from serious injury,(IMO). Hate to think what the outcome would have been using a plunger gun or open ignition. How accurate were they?

dbowling said:
After zeroing Knight Disc pistol shot 3 shots into less then a inch at 54 yds and rifle shot 3 325 gr FTX and 2 275 gr Lehigh into same hole that made a ragged 1 in hole. There was almost zero blow back other then a little around rim of bolt even w/o vent liners.

Dean, A guy Can’t complain about accuracy like this, Who needs a Vent liner anyway? :lol: :lol: On a serious note for those that don’t get it, i am Joking!

Is there anywhere that the breech plug with removable vent liner can be purchased? I picked up a bare primer conversion kit on eBay a couple of years back, but the breech plug has a very convex face. It looks similar to the Thunderdome breech plug, and I have been having ignition issues at times (mostly when it is important to not have issues). I have drilled out the breech plug, but I still get the occasional hang fire. Sorry to have hijacked this thread.

hunt_so_ill said:
Is there anywhere that the breech plug with removable vent liner can be purchased? I picked up a bare primer conversion kit on eBay a couple of years back, but the breech plug has a very convex face. It looks similar to the Thunderdome breech plug, and I have been having ignition issues at times (mostly when it is important to not have issues). I have drilled out the breech plug, but I still get the occasional hang fire. Sorry to have hijacked this thread.
What Rifle?

The Conversion Kit that is mentioned here is for the Knight disc based rifles only, such as the Elite, Disk Extreme, etc.
If you have one of the Knights. You can send an email to Buddy Truckley and see if he has anymore. He uses his wifes email.
[email protected]

It’s the Disc Extreme with Winchester primers and BH209. Would the new Knight bare primer plugs work well with BH? I guess I just want to make sure I have confidence in whatever breech plug I am using.

hunt_so_ill said:
It’s the Disc Extreme with Winchester primers and BH209. Would the new Knight bare primer plugs work well with BH? I guess I just want to make sure I have confidence in whatever breech plug I am using.
The New Vented (brazed in ventliner) should. If it were me I would see of Buddy has anymore of the old Lehigh kits like in the picture I posted above. You will need to get some ventliners though. The new Knights have a brazed in ventliner and it will wear out eventually. The big advantage with the old Lehigh is you just replace the Ventliner when the flash hole gets too large instead of replacing the whole plug like with the new Knight.

He used to charge $45 for one plug shipped and $80 for 2 shipped.

ShawnT said:
hunt_so_ill said:
The New Vented (brazed in ventliner) should. If it were me I would see of Buddy has anymore of the old Lehigh kits like in the picture I posted above. You will need to get some ventliners though. The new Knights have a brazed in ventliner and it will wear out eventually. The big advantage with the old Lehigh is you just replace the Ventliner when the flash hole gets too large instead of replacing the whole plug like with the new Knight.

He used to charge $45 for one plug shipped and $80 for 2 shipped.

Thanks for the help. I just shot him an e-mail.

Back