Anyone having this problem w/bare primer conversion/BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what i did to a domed breech plug fitting the disc elite. It works good igniting Blackhorn.

IMG_3797.JPG

No problem.

Just in case, there is another great option available I should have mentioned.

Contact Bestill (Member here) He has a really great new Breech plug that uses a Tungsten carbide insert. If you have the means to do the measurements he needs he can adjust it to fit your rifle, or you can ship it to his shop (Bestill Creations) and he can do it for you. He specializes in custom Muzzleloaders. :yeah: I put one in my UltraLite. It is a bit more costly but if you shoot a fair amount it is truly worth it.

Plus Ron has just shown a 3rd option.

Hes out I just tried to buy a couple more from him yesterday..

hunt_so_ill said:
ShawnT said:
hunt_so_ill said:
It’s the Disc Extreme with Winchester primers and BH209. Would the new Knight bare primer plugs work well with BH? I guess I just want to make sure I have confidence in whatever breech plug I am using.
The New Vented (brazed in ventliner) should. If it were me I would see of Buddy has anymore of the old Lehigh kits like in the picture I posted above. You will need to get some ventliners though. The new Knights have a brazed in ventliner and it will wear out eventually. The big advantage with the old Lehigh is you just replace the Ventliner when the flash hole gets too large instead of replacing the whole plug like with the new Knight.

He used to charge $45 for one plug shipped and $80 for 2 shipped.

Thanks for the help. I just shot him an e-mail.

Took a while for him to sell them all. Bet a lot of them went to guys here. :wink:

ronlaughlin said:
Here is what i did to a domed breech plug fitting the disc elite. It works good igniting Blackhorn.

IMG_3797.JPG

Did you just drill out the dome to shorten the flash channel, or did you add threads as well to accommodate a vent liner?

Threads are required so one can use a vent liner to replace the flash hole which is destroyed when one creates the powder chamber. Also, the flame channel was drilled out to 5/32", so one can tap the threads for the 10-32 thread sized vent liner.

IMG_3798.JPG

IMG_3802.JPG

IMG_3801.JPG

One can sure see the plug has been collecting dust in the garage for several years

Re: RE: Re: Anyone having this problem w/bare primer conversion/BH209

hunt_so_ill said:
It’s the Disc Extreme with Winchester primers and BH209. Would the new Knight bare primer plugs work well with BH? I guess I just want to make sure I have confidence in whatever breech plug I am using.
I have the bare primer in my 45 disc.it shoots the barnes 195s with crushed rib sabots and bh209 sub moa.i know it's amazing at 100 yards worst group was .650s but with hornady sst 200s it goes 1-1/2 groups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back