Anyone Tried the New Hornady 340gr Bore Drivers With Smokeless?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first thing I want to say is that I'm not considering using these with any custom smokeless models, basically just the stock Savage ML II. I haven't tried any out myself yet (trying to sell my Savage at the moment). If it doesn't sell before the season begins I want to test some of these with smokeless loads. I have a great thing going in terms of accuracy with my Barnes 300gr Semi-spitzer, using 58grns of N120, with an orange MMP sabot. That being said, if I could find something that goes down the barrel more smoothly, with the same degree of accuracy out to 150 yrds that would be great. I'm not expecting to find that kind of accuracy with these bullets, but I love to experiment. Just wondering if any of you are also considering giving these a try with smokeless powder.

I purchased them for a couple of my other ML's but am still looking forward to experimenting with them. If I can get them to group well at 100yrds I would definitely give them a try during the season. As I said before, I am doubting very much they shoot as well as my 300gr Barnes and Furys, both using 58grns of N120 and MMP sabots. Again, the only downside to both of those is the amount of pressure I have to put on the ramrod to get them down after the first shot.

I ran the following calculations on QuickLoad. Use at your own risk.

Accurate 4064 seems to be easier to ignite than some of the other powders I have used.

I ordered the PressureTrace II equipment this week. Hopefully, I will be able to do some actual pressure testing in the near future.

Attachments

• Screenshot (18).png
    Screenshot (18).png
    253.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot (19).png
    Screenshot (19).png
    312.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back