Anyone using APP or Shockey's Gold?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefteye

Reaction score
I just saw American Pioneer and Shockey's Gold for sale at Gander Mountain. I didn't know they were still being made. Is anyone using either of them?

I shoot the 3f in both of them. Mostly in my black powder revolver. But I have found that APP is a good roundball shooting powder in many of my rifles. I just don't trust it for hunting. Although I never gave it a fair chance in field conditions to fail.

Years ago my dad bought the shockeys gold pellets. About every other shot was a squib, and you could watch at least one of the pellets going down range on fire. Only the base would ignite with a 209 primer. I even had a video of it that was sent to APP. They responded back with a muzzloading 101 checklist claiming user error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a bunch of 1 pound bottles of Alliant BlackMZ on clearance recently. Prior to that I had gone through about 3 pounds of the stuff at the range.
Rumor has it that it is simply repackaged SG or APP and the cat litter sized granules goes a long way to affirm that rumor.

This is my experience in using the stuff in an inlne 209 ML gun:

• If you measure this out with a volumetric powder measure, you must develop a routine to make it repeatable because casual methods can vary the weights by 10% or more.
  • I pour it into a measure very loosely, then level it off without shaking. That gives me a fairly consistent weight
  • Once you find a good charge weight, weighing out charges and storing them in plastic tubes is the best method
  • The powder ignites fairly easily, at least a lot more easily than BH209
  • An over powder card or wad between the charge and a lead projectile gives me better performance
  • Swabbing between shots with a dry patch makes firmly seating the bullet much easier
  • Sabots need no lube and lead bullets with 2:1 beeswax/Vaseline work well and make bore cleaning easy
  • I've used just CLP to clean out the bore and it seems to work quite well, but I live in a dry climate and don't shoot in wet weather

It is the weakest most moisture attracting powder on the market.

Back