Anything comparable

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that there are a couple that are comparable to bh209. But the manufacturers will probably never ever say they are safe in any ML.
Vihtavouri makes a cowboy powder just for old cartridge type loads that they say is similar to real black. I believe IMR has one, too.
I do not recommend trying either in a “BP or sub only” ML.

Well I haven't ran it thru a chrony but last week I shot my 700ML and used 100 gr volume of both BH209 and Alliant Black MZ. (See thread "took 700ml out"). I shot at 50 and 100 yds then again at 50. Both powder hit same POI at both yardage which really surprised me. The only difference I saw, or rather felt, was the substantially more recoil with BH209.
I've tried both powders in several rifles and I each time I've gotten equal or better accuracy with the Black MZ. too bad it's been discontinued. I'm glad I have about 9 containers on hand.

Laudy and MtMonkey have had success with Shooters World Black, a multi purpose black powder substitute, and there are threads here regarding their results. It's for sale at Scheels for about $27 per pound. It's manufactured by Lovex in Chech Republic (or Slovakia), formerly Chechoslovakia

Laudy and MtMonkey have had success with Shooters World Black, a multi purpose black powder substitute, and there are threads here regarding their results. It's for sale at Scheels for about $27 per pound. It's manufactured by Lovex in Chech Republic (or Slovakia), formerly Chechoslovakia
No its not, its made by APP for Shooters World. Its nothing more than American Pioneer Powder.

Product Overview

Midsouth is proud to offer Shooters World Multi Purpose FFF Black Black Powder Substitute in 1lb cannisters. The Multi Purpose FFF Black Black Powder Substitute is perfect for Hunters and Cowboy Action Shooters. For use in Muzzleloaders and Black Powder Cartridges, this powder is clean, powerful, dependable and accurate! Moisture resistant and virtually non-corrosive. This Black Powder substitute is made in America for Shooters World by American Pioneer Powder. As with any propellant and load combination, a minor change to any of the components of the test load CAN result in significant shift in ballistic performance. This shift can cause unintended high pressures, and result in injury or death. Therefore, Shooters World LLC, nor the manufacturer of this propellant take no responsibility for the intentional or unintentional misuse of this product. The charge weights and results noted within are not recommended, either as a starting nor completed load. They are shown merely as an indication of potential performance in one test load, shot by CIP standards.

https://shootersworldpowder.com/wp-...alInterior_CHRIS_WITH-COVER__RUSS-REVISED.pdf
These black powder substitutes are made in America for Shooters World
by American Pioneer Powder

Last edited:
It's manufactured by Lovex in Chech Republic (or Slovakia), formerly Chechoslovakia

As noted by GM54-120; it's manufactured in the USA by American Pioneer Powder at Whitewater, CO. APP also manufactured Black MZ powder.

IME: Shooters World Multipurpose Black is the equal of Black MZ, the smell is different.

I stand corrected. GM and Okie are correct. Shooters World Black is not manufactured in Chech Republic. I didn't read the fine print.
I just googled VitaVhouri and learned they no longer manufacture their cowboy action powder and Alliant Black MZ is also no longer manufactured.

So, Is Shooters World Black the only other black powder substitute that sorta might compete with Blackhorn 209?

So, Is Shooters World Black the only other black powder substitute that sorta might compete with Blackhorn 209?

IMO: Yes.

However, folks so locked into BH 209 that they willingly pay $10 per ounce for the stuff may not be willing to try another powder.

Last edited:
I have found Black MZ to be more accurate, ballistically equal and easier on the shoulder than BH209 in at least 3 of my rifles.
I may just see if I can acquire a can of Shooter's World to see how it compares.

I'd be more than willing to try the shooters world powder if I could find it somewhere other than having to pay for the hazmat fees! I'll be keeping an eye out for it here in S.Ohio! If anyone knows where to get some I'd appreciate the information!

Can anyone who has shot it n cleaned the bore ? Did it leave a crud ring ? I am fixing to sell every new lb. of T7-3F i have, as it leaves a nasty crud ring in my .45 T/C Hawken.

Back