AO Scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DW

Reaction score
If you are using a scope with an Adjustable Objective on the MLII or any smokeless ml for that matter, please post the brand and model you are using and if you have not had problems with said scope. Please post how many shots you think you have on this scope also.

I'M NOT INTERESTED IN FIXED OBJECTIVE SCOPES ONLY AO SCOPES.

The reason for the question is that I'm at the end of my rope with scope manufacturers.
I waited 2 months to get my Elite 4200 back from Bushnell this spring, when I went to the range last week to sight the MLII in the windage adjustment knob spins and the reticle moves, but it does not click. I already knew I had to send it back again due to the parallax adjustment not being correctly tuned, you cannot get the parallax out of the sight picture beyond approx. 250yds. This scope didn't have 50 shots on it this time before it crapped out.

Then I get the SII Big Sky back from Sightron today. I told them over the phone and put a letter in the box specifically stating that if the scope needed replaced I wanted to upgrade to a mil-dot, naturally the scope they sent has the dot reticle. This scope never made 500 shots on the .45, first the side focus goes out, then the 300SST's sabotless killed it. I can't catch a break, thats 4 scopes in two years. I don't know how many scopes I've mounted in 25+ years, on 300Mags, 7Mags and shotguns, but I had never had a scope fail until the last couple years, including a cheap Simmons that sat for a number of years on one of the first Mossberg 835's that came out, by far the worst kicking gun I have ever shot.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I have owned a PILE and I mean a PILE of AO scopes. Most have been for use on springer air rifles which to those that know, is probably as much of a torture test around. A spring-type air rifle will eat a sub-par riflescope in short order. I also have a Vari-X III 4.5-14X50AO on a 300 Winchester Mag. The brand that I have had the LEAST problems(zero) with is Leupold. I have several Vari-X III 6.5-20X40AOs, VX-II 4-12X40AOs, and 3-9AO. I've never returned one. I'd go Leupold without even thinking about it.

big6x6 said:
I have owned a PILE and I mean a PILE of AO scopes. Most have been for use on springer air rifles which to those that know, is probably as much of a torture test around. A spring-type air rifle will eat a sub-par riflescope in short order. I also have a Vari-X III 4.5-14X50AO on a 300 Winchester Mag. The brand that I have had the LEAST problems(zero) with is Leupold. I have several Vari-X III 6.5-20X40AOs, VX-II 4-12X40AOs, and 3-9AO. I've never returned one. I'd go Leupold without even thinking about it.
Thanks Chuck. One of the failed scopes I had to return was a 6.5-20x40 VXIII. Amongst 5 of us at my range there have been double digit scope or base failures in the last two years. You can understand my reluctance to buy any Leupold product at this time.

DW, I have owned a ton of AO scopes starting with a Redfield 4x-12x which I purchased new in 1973. In talking with Garth at the Leupold repair center the biggest factor in failures is the length of the scope in relation to the amount of recoil it will receive. Take a 6x-18x one inch tube scope and put it on a 300 WBY mag and it won't take it long to fail given the right conditions. That is why I have gone exclusively to 30 mm tubes with side adjust paralax. I use a lot of 4.5x-14x Vari-x III Leupolds in 30 mm tubes and side adjust paralax. The scope length is relatively short given the power magnification and the 30 mm tube gives you more rigidity.
I still use Leupold's primarily because they stand behind their products and repair time is minimal. Take this for example, I purchased new in 1983 a Leupold 6x Compact with AO. In 2004 after 1500 rounds primarily on slug guns the objective lens developed a vertical crack. I sent the scope back to Leupold and they said the scope was non repairable. Without hesitation, they sent me a new 6x scope free of charge. I don't know about you but I will do business with a company like that til the cows come home. JMHO

Very good info Magnum. Sightron and Leupold both have excellent turnaround time, less than two weeks from the time I shipped to them until the scope was back in my possession.

The two brands I have had zero problems with are Kahles and Nightforce. Other than that, I have had trouble with every other scope manufacturer I have ever purchased from, includiung all listed here. I think Leupolds are pretty decent, esp the upper end scopes, but I've still had those give me trouble, and their mounting systems as well. I've never owned a Swarovski scope, but I think they are top of the heap so to speak. I had a pair of their rangefinders that went nuts on me, but the glass was good. I really like Kahles though. My all time favorite.

Super 91 said:
The two brands I have had zero problems with are Kahles and Nightforce. Other than that, I have had trouble with every other scope manufacturer I have ever purchased from, includiung all listed here. I think Leupolds are pretty decent, esp the upper end scopes, but I've still had those give me trouble, and their mounting systems as well. I've never owned a Swarovski scope, but I think they are top of the heap so to speak. I had a pair of their rangefinders that went nuts on me, but the glass was good. I really like Kahles though. My all time favorite.
Where have you found the best prices for NF or Kahles? Thanks.

While you are looking at NF, check out IOR as well. You can start at SWFA. Both are tactical scopes made heavy and sturdy with repeatable and exact adjustments. NF will be a 30mm tube and IOR will be at least a 35 mm tube.

http://www.bearbasin.com/catalog.htm

Optics planet
Bear Basin
SWFA
Sportsmans warehouse

My Nightforce is one seriously tough scope. Awesome optics too. Very repeatable. Not cheap, but not terribly expensive when you consider what you get.

The best hands down is Schmidt and Bender. Doohan is right about IOR. A very well built scope with etched glass reticle. I own 4 of them plus 3 sets of binoculars and absolutely no problems.

I have spent a pile of cash on scopes over the years and I have to agree with some that leupold is the standard that others are judged. Good product and good service if you have a problem. My ML-II is wearing an vari-xII 4-12 AO.

30mm tubes

I have gone to a prominent optics forum and asked about the AO feature of a rifle scope being a weak link. The consensus was that although the adjustable focus or parallax feature involves additional parts for a rifle scope that there seems to be no trend in that they will get stuck or malfunction on hard kicking rifles such as the .416 or .338 RUM and other calibers that involved major recoil. I wonder what it could be about 50 cal muzzleloaders that could be producing this phenomenon?

Also I did have to send one Kahles CL 3-9x42 back to Austria because of a side focus adjuster being stuck. I can't for the life of me understand why a 3-9x scope would have a parallax adjustment.

I am wondering if anyone has had any trouble with scopes sporting a 30mm main tube? Any input?

Doug

Latest posts

Back