Apex 30-06 Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
While the Apex had been shooting good when we got it, we started having problems with shots being dead on and then the next one 7" low and so on. I blew through 120 rounds one day trying new powder, new seating depth, kept happening!

I even changed out scopes, rings, you name it!

Well on another forum brought this up and said that he had issues of poor accuracy with the Apex he was shooting " 35 Whelen" and he scrapped the factory base and put on a set of Durasight Dead On mounts.

While the Dead on mount extends past the contour of the barrel, its actually less than the factory base. That factory base MUST have some flex because it was causing some damn big head aches for me.

I mounted the new Konus 3-12x40 scope on it last night, used some high dead on mounts " This actually was perfect for us" and so this evening i decided to try reloading some rounds and see how things went.

Started off with 165gr Hornady boat tails, 51 grains H380 and Remington primers.

At 50 yards the cross hairs basically faded out on 12x but i did the best i could and the group was alright, nothing to scream over, especially at 50 yards, BUT it was consistent! Adjusted my scope up 30 clicks, fired 3 more and it shot that same darn group as the first 3 shots!

Wanting to improve, i went back in and upped my charge to 54 grains H380 " Max is 56 grains" and went back out, but this time to 70 yards off my lead sled. Fired 3 shots, pretty high but dead center and the group DID make me scream and jump around!

I dont have the pics uploaded yet, but that final group measured .448" center to center.

I was always a huge fan of H380 when I reloaded. It was always good for cloverleafs. Never used it for .30 bullets, but sounds like you found a combo. That 165 boat-tail was my favorite bullet for deer in my .30-06 Remington. They would just collapse where they stood :twisted:

Got out to 100 yards this afternoon. I only took 2 shot groups due to the extreme heat and my first 2 shots were touching, Adjusted the scope up, another 2 shots touching! Moved it 8 clicks to the right and it should be in the center of the bulls eye next time out!

One hell of a shooting rifle thats for certain! And i did the reloading! I hate doing it but im just surprised as heck that i got a load shooting great this early. I don't really think i could improve on the accuracy much more.

First 3 lowest shots were when i first started out, adjusted 30 clicks up and took 3 more shots with the 51 grains H380 - 165gr Hornady Boat Tails @ 50 yards. Wasnt that pleased so i went in and reloaded with an increase in powder for a total of 54 grains H380. Fired 3 shots from 70 yards and the group measured .448"!!
DSCN2355.jpg

DSCN2356.jpg

Next day i went out to 100 yards, fired 2 shots that impacted low and to the left, but were touching! Making sure it wasn't a fluke i adjusted 4 clicks up and fired 2 more shots. NOT A FLUKE! LOL.
DSCN2371.jpg

nice shooting FG ..is that an aluminum scope mount ...??????

///

I think its an alloy. I know they say its 50% stronger than Aluminum. Its pretty hefty in weight.

All right im finished with the Apex. Took a couple shots today at 100 yards, dead center and 3" high @ 2 1/2" high @ 100 yards. Both shots touching! Threw my hands up, said thats enough, go and get the brass and start reloading. May try some 200 yard groups at the NRA one of these days.

Latest posts

Back