April Fools bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Started a mold yesterday evening (April Fools day), finished it today. Wanted to make a 50 with the same nose cutter I used on my 45 & 52 molds. This bullet was made 0.100" longer than the 52.
Messed up on the first nose pin, so just cut it for a solid. Meplat is 1/4" diameter with HP 0.150" at nose tapered and 3/8" long. I kept the HP small and short as I thought the bullet would be about 525gr - since it isn't, I may make another pin a little longer and slight less taper.
Base band 0.502", all others bands measure 0.5015", ojive diameter 0.499"- pure lead.
Hope to get to the range to try it soon...

Attachments

• 50 cal 540 HP 555 mold.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 432
  • 50 cal 540 HP.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 432
very nice looking mold and bullet. You have skills there! That should work in a Knight rifle real good.

edmehlig said:
Rick, you going into the mold making business? She looks Great, can't wait to see the range report.

Ha, no business. It's really a challenge, plus I want to see how they perform - both accuracy and hunting. I've made many paper patch molds over the years (most all 45's), but these grease grooves are a whole new thing. It's machining blind in a hole (like mirror image of finished bullet), so it's been a learning curve and a challenge (and time) - rewarding when it works..
I'll be sure to share a range report when it occurs..

Latest posts

Back