Archery antelope under way

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking forward to some fresh steak , Tried a stalk on these but failed to get a shot except with the camera .

Attachments

• E9F0CA2E-9613-401C-AB50-3CA7F77F710F.jpeg
    E9F0CA2E-9613-401C-AB50-3CA7F77F710F.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 339
  • CFB85EAB-CF4B-4FE2-853B-ED0C867F6354.jpeg
    CFB85EAB-CF4B-4FE2-853B-ED0C867F6354.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 339
Re: Archery under way

They sure are neat looking Critters! I have never seen an Antelope, never been anywhere they were, We have them Way South of me, 500 miles or so. I have heard mixed opinions on how they taste? Some swear by them, Some say they are Awful. Like anything else, I’m sure it has a lot to do with how you prepare them?

Good luck on the hunt! Taking a prairie goat with a bow is a challenge.

They are a fun animal to see and watch. I've tagged two by rifle: The first was bedded at around 150 yards and never knew what hit him. He tasted not too bad. The other had been running and was not such good meat for the table.

Getting the meat cool to cold quickly after gutting I feel is imperative on these, not always easy to on these flatlanders. We carried coolers full of ice topped by dry ice, then covered by aluminum foil shiny side down and finally a heavy terry cloth towel. The ice would stay froze hard for a week carried that way as long as the coolers stay closed. We carried water as well and washed the cavities out pronto, then packed them with ice. We'd get the hide off as soon as possible too. Once we got somewhere we could quarter and bone the animal the meat would go into two gallon zip-locks and then packed in ice topped with the dry ice again for the ride home.

I've heard conversations go both ways regarding antelope and as mentioned have had antelope both ways. The age and sex of the animal can be factors but whether the animal had been run for any distance really comes into play since the meat gets heated up pretty good and I think that's where the table turns. Find an animal that's relaxed and calm and I think the meat will be fine.

Bachelor group of little guys , strike two :)
There were 8 in the group . 70 yards was the closest I got before being busted

Attachments

• 10C28932-E67B-4168-9C72-9B8F69283D03.jpeg
    10C28932-E67B-4168-9C72-9B8F69283D03.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 273
  • 56AD8CA4-1C4D-485D-AAA1-696C0C9131C2.jpeg
    56AD8CA4-1C4D-485D-AAA1-696C0C9131C2.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 622B89E3-17FE-42DE-8CB9-8353190BC19C.jpeg
    622B89E3-17FE-42DE-8CB9-8353190BC19C.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 257

MrTom said:
Good luck on the hunt! Taking a prairie goat with a bow is a challenge.

They are a fun animal to see and watch. I've tagged two by rifle: The first was bedded at around 150 yards and never knew what hit him. He tasted not too bad. The other had been running and was not such good meat for the table.

Getting the meat cool to cold quickly after gutting I feel is imperative on these, not always easy to on these flatlanders. We carried coolers full of ice topped by dry ice, then covered by aluminum foil shiny side down and finally a heavy terry cloth towel. The ice would stay froze hard for a week carried that way as long as the coolers stay closed. We carried water as well and washed the cavities out pronto, then packed them with ice. We'd get the hide off as soon as possible too. Once we got somewhere we could quarter and bone the animal the meat would go into two gallon zip-locks and then packed in ice topped with the dry ice again for the ride home.

I've heard conversations go both ways regarding antelope and as mentioned have had antelope both ways. The age and sex of the animal can be factors but whether the animal had been run for any distance really comes into play since the meat gets heated up pretty good and I think that's where the table turns. Find an animal that's relaxed and calm and I think the meat will be fine.

Antelope is my favorite. I have taken 25-30 since living here . Absolutely love the meat . I hunt in about a 5 mile radius of the house so I am home and have it in the fridge pretty quick normally. If I am only a mile or two from the house I don’t even field dress it til I get home . Then I “no gut” it and am done in 15 minutes . I usually age it anywhere from 4 to 5 days in the fridge before it goes in the freezer .
I never run one or take one that’s been running . Archery season I have only been successful 3 times in the last 7 years . (Longest was at 52 yards .) I use one of my long range muzzleloaders for rifle season . Very rarely during rifle season do I even try to get closer than 200 yards. Most of the time 200 to 300 is my average shot

I sure enjoy watching antelope as we travel out west....absolutely love seeing those beasts, unless they're using the highway with me. You are one fortunate man to have them right in your back yard, so to speak. Go gettem.

I make a lot of sausage from my deer and go to great extents to take care of the meat when I am fortunate enough to collect an animal. I figure I owe it to the critter to make sure its well cared for.

So veeeery close this evening . I don’t shoot past 50 . I was 60 yards away from a bachelor group of 4 bucks . But that was as close as I got. They finally jetted out of there leaving me with another strike . :think:

Back