Armisport Kentuckian, pop goes the nipple

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogfood

Reaction score
Hi all,
I came by a .45 Armisport Kentuckian a little while ago that needed a few parts (trigger group and barrel screw). Having found suitable parts, I decided to give it a try a couple weeks ago with a small blank charge, say 10gr of FFFG. In firing it I got some blowback. I assumed it was just the nipple wasn't as properly secured as it looked. So today, I screwed in the nipple as tight as it would get. And then loaded it with 35gr FFFG and a .447 Minie ball. I thought I was good to go.
Well...the Minie ball went but so did the nipple. Fortunately I came out unscathed. But the nipple was nowhere to be found. Oddly it looks like the threads of the part the nipple screws into look fine.
Anyone know the correct nipple to use for one of these old Armisports?
Cheers,
dgfd

I can't find the proper thread size, hopefully someone else will chime in with that.
I will say it isn't a good idea to tighten a nipple very much, although in your case I can see why you did. I believe you had a nipple with the wrong threads from the get-go.
When you get the proper thread, a bit of anti-sieze and just snugging it up should hold just fine. Otherwise you may have a whole lot of fun trying to get it back out after several shots have been fired.

Thank you all for your information input. I sincerely appreciate it!
-dgfd

Latest posts

Back