Arrowhead ML and Paramount

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really like reading the experience we have on here. So I ordered some vent liners for my Savage today and while I was on they're website started looking at the custom made Arrowhead muzzleloaders. They build a sweet smokeless ML capable of 500 yards. I was falling in love until I saw the price, Anyone on here have any experience with one or ever seen one in person. I have a Savage ml2, an encore, a pro hunter, Knight disc and a handful of Whites I enjoy shooting, I also enjoy helping friends sight they're new ML's in and finding the right combination of powders and bullets.
I looked at the Paramount last year and was considering one but thought I'd wait at that price. After seeing the Arrowhead Obsidian I'm in love (Beautiful gun) but the price is making me look towards the Paramount if I can find one now. Who would've guessed that ML's would reach the $5000-$6000 range and beyond. Maybe I'm getting old and can't grasp the thought. Are they that good? Maybe I'm just venting, anyone have thoughts and experience on either of these? Thanks

The customs are just that good and the accuracy is only dependent upon the person on the trigger.
Yes, they are that good. Not only are they that good, they will humble a shooter very quickly. With a top quality custom rifle, there's no more excuses.
When you can send 5 rounds through a single hole at 100yds, you understand quickly the quality.
They are well beyond 500yd capable rifles. Last month we shot customs with BH209 to 1,000yds.

The most accurate rifle in America is a 45 Cal smokeless muzzleloader ,, if you love an accurate rifle and you have not experienced the accuracy potential of a custom smokeless muzzleloader nothing else comes close to me!! Start pricing a custom 300 win mag from a reputable gun rifle builder or a 6.5 creedmoor you're looking at the same kind of prices, there are more frugal ways to put smokeless guns together if you keep learning about them and investigating them you will see.

My custom 45 will almost always put 3 in one hole you can cover with a 50 caliber bullet and not see any torn paper. At 100 yards it still has more energy than a 375 H&H. An added bonus is it bucks the Oklahoma wind like crazy. As others have said you can get into one for a pretty reasonable cost if you have an action sitting around.

I really like reading the experience we have on here. So I ordered some vent liners for my Savage today and while I was on they're website started looking at the custom made Arrowhead muzzleloaders. They build a sweet smokeless ML capable of 500 yards. I was falling in love until I saw the price, Anyone on here have any experience with one or ever seen one in person. I have a Savage ml2, an encore, a pro hunter, Knight disc and a handful of Whites I enjoy shooting, I also enjoy helping friends sight they're new ML's in and finding the right combination of powders and bullets.
I looked at the Paramount last year and was considering one but thought I'd wait at that price. After seeing the Arrowhead Obsidian I'm in love (Beautiful gun) but the price is making me look towards the Paramount if I can find one now. Who would've guessed that ML's would reach the $5000-$6000 range and beyond. Maybe I'm getting old and can't grasp the thought. Are they that good? Maybe I'm just venting, anyone have thoughts and experience on either of these? Thanks
there is no comparison between any that you have mentioned

I reached out to Luke and asked him about the breach plug design and headspace, etc. I bought a brux barrel in .45 with his newest Gen 2 LRMP breach plug design. I put it on a factory take-off REM 700 action and bedded it in a stocky’s carbon fiber stock. It is hands-down the most accurate rifle I own. Muzzleloader notwithstanding. It shoots one hole groups at 100.
My biggest fear is that it’s only a matter of time until I leave the funnel in the break. But as was mentioned, these rifles are in a separate class. Worth every penny.

Thanks guys, I'm going to reach out to Luke and see about having him make me a custom 45 barrel for my Pro Hunter also. Any suggestions on what twist and length would be best?
I would suggest you provide Luke with what your needs/wants will be and he'll answer the questions for you.

Keep an eye out for the Bergara 45-70 Encore barrel. They are pretty rare now but were very good barrels for converting to 45cal SML. IIRC they were a heavier contour than the TC 45/70 barrels. Same breech OD but more meat the rest of the way.

Im curious on how the Arrowhead SM barrels for the encore shoot. I have a ML2, and have been pretty happy accuracy wise, but would like something more accurate.

I have an Arrowhead ML and LOVE it. Mine was a build Luke did and cost me around $2500 all in. I was amazed at the accuracy of that rifle and I killed a great buck with it! IMG_4517.JPG

I have an original Ultimate Muzzleloader from Ultimate Firearms in Okemos, Michigan, purchased in the ~2000-2005 timeframe. Paid 3k back then.
I believe K Johnson (inventor) was the pioneer for using Large Magnum Rifle Primers, mounted in brass, in a smokepole.
250g SSTs at ~2200 fps muzzle velocity has worked beautifully for me, hunting with confidence out to 300 yards (providing I had a rail or lean-to).
I'm not confident enough in my ability to take longer shots on game. Even after 5+ decades of hunting, I feel like I swallowed a gut grenade when I see/hear of the running wounded.
That said, there's those like Encore50A who've competed at extreme target ranges.

Some basic questions to maybe help...
R U looking to compete beyond 300 yards?
What's your planned maximum hunting range?
What are you planning to hunt and where?
Legal restrictions where you'll hunt? (some places mandate 'primitive' style weapons, no smokeless propellants, etc.)

Perhaps answers to these questions may help, good luck..

Latest posts

Back